slow peer connecting

rada

hy I recently upgraded from utorrent 1.6.1 to 1.7.6 and now I have problems with download. The tracker status is working, the seeds column displays 0(20) but no seeder is connecting to me, only after a minute it starts downloading with is pretty long. after the download starts my connection is max out so there are no problems but the downloading starts veryyy slow. I have setup 2200 for maximum connection and 990 for connection per torrent and still nothing. I have 650 torrents but only 35 active.

So if know what the problem might be please tell:)

PS: with 1.6.1 and the same settings everything worked fine

... you're killing your connection man. What router are you using? If the name begins with netgear linksys d-link for sure you cannot handle > 200 connections without issues. Trying to keep 900 active peers results in a CONSTANT overhead of > 9 KiBps. Set saner settings (based upon the Speed Guide) and report back. You really should reset your settings based upon a speed test and stick it in the speed guide to see if things clear up.

... Are you on a 100 Mbit synchronous line? If not, allowing uTorrent to use 9 KiBps of sustained bandwidth up and down to keep track of all those peers is killing your line. You misunderstood my previous post. CHANGE the PER TORRENT and GLOBAL connections to 10 and under 100 respectively. What is your upload? I guarantee if you change those settings to a SANER variety you will see immediate results. Also changing the half-open off the default of 8 doesn't help your problem.

dunno where I can enable error logging. but found this in microsoft event viewer for system events

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

this was 5 minutes ago

the connection is working a bit better but the peers still do not connect instantaneously like it used do to

Correct the Microsoft updates reset this limit of half-open. Changing your Ctrl-P -> Advanced -> net.max_halfopen to default (* means un-default, RESET button will go back to default of 8) should help as long as you're not using other filesharing programs or programs which tend to make alot of connection attempts in a short time. I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself... "Instantly connecting to peers" doesn't happen. At best it takes 2-5 seconds after starting a torrent to 1) communicate with the tracker 2) get peers 3) make connections to peers 4) start handshaking 5) start transferring data.

Most welcome :D. You can always try tweaking your settings to see if you can get previous behaviour by limiting yourself even more like 25 peers per torrent 100 total or whatever... It's best to test connect speed on a different port (each time) forwarded to your IP so you don't overwhelm your router...with either of the torrents from the How-To. Their trackers are very responsive and the peers are super-fast and as such should pick up "immediately" (heh, I know that sounds like < 1 sec, but it really means ASAP according to your settings).

Archived