Update/Uninstall Problems

blacksails

I've been using uTorrent for well over a year now. I opened the program last night and was offered to update it. I did so. This morning, after having my computer on all night, I find that uTorrent isn't in the task bar anymore, so I attempt to open the program. I'm told that it is running already. I check the Task Manager and see it. I try to end process but it won't close it out. I go to uninstall it and it does just that. I restart and try downloading the updated verison again, but I can't because it is still running(?!) I check the program file and the same download of uTorrent that I downloaded the first time I got my new computer is still there. I can not delete the program from the program file even after uninstalling it. I'm really confused. I can't even open the program file. Any help/info will greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

If you see it running in task manager open a command prompt and type in the pathname to the running utorrent.exe and append /BRINGTOFRONT to the command line. If that doesn't work, you can double check the launch path with process explorer from http://sysinternals.com . You will want to put /BRINGTOFRONT outside any "" i.e. "c:\my folder\utorrent\utorrent.exe" /BRINGTOFRONT . If you installed uT previously it should be under program files. :/ If you run msconfig from start->run you may also see multiple uTorrent launch shortcuts... Delete them all if you want to start fresh, or just untick all but one. See how that goes and report back :D

Archived