Not bitter or anything, but why's this such a bad idea?

Bumnut

Hope it's not too offensive to post this in chat.

I posted this a little while ago in chat:

G'day.

Often a torrent contains several files in order, and you want to access them in that order, i.e. you want to download everything, but you don't want to have to wait for everything to downlad before you can access the first file.

I do this often, I mark the first file as high, the next few as normal, the rest as low. When the first is finished, I have to manually make the second one high, and so forth.

An option to auto-prioritise would be nice, it would make the earliest non-completed file in the sequence the highest priority.

If this were used by the majority of the community, it would make earlier files more available than later, so it shouldn't be enabled by default, But since it's something I (and probably many others) are already doing manually, it shouldn't cause too much trouble.

Which very quickly got the reply:

Requested before, not going to happen.

and chucked in the bin. Well I searched before I posted, and searched harder after I posted, and couldn't find anything.

I'm not here to argue that it's a good idea, but could someone please explain to me why it's such a bad idea?

Cheers.

Search for "sequential download". I would have posted my comment, but it was trashed before I could get to it.

It is the MOST requested and therefore REJECTED user "feature". It does not help the swarm and eventually contributes to the swarms demise, were the option that widely available. The current prioritization of files to High Normal and Low is all that is and will be implemented.

Sequential downloading means new peers will be demanding the first parts of a torrent, probably even the first part of the first file in the torrent. So the seeders are forced to upload the same starting parts over and over and over again. Many seeders use seeding limits, and would reach them LONG before another seed is made. So when the seeders leave, everyone is stuck at roughly the same percent...and nobody has the last few files/parts in the torrent.

Archived