At my wits end...

maestro

Hello, Im somewhat of a newb, so please take mercy on my ignorance... I cant seem to connect to anything on utorrent, and I have tried other clients as well. As soon as I start ,my broswer fails to connect. Ive tried static IPs, limiting global connections, port forwarding, everything as far as I can tell. Im running windows Vista with a D-Link WBR 2310 router, with updated firmware. My connection is satellite internet, I dont know if it makes a difference but thought I would say, just because it is slightly outside of the norm.Im sorry to ask for help, but ive been cruising forums and doing everything I can for days...

OK, thanks for the overview of your situation. One satellite provider I know of Hughesnet, may give you results which are relevant if you search this forum...

As far as setup, Have you followed the Setup Guide (Guides page link #3)?? Configuring your uT to work with your connection is a chain of events, so it's easy to get confused. However no matter how well you configure it I don't think you'll be able to get the green Network Status icon due to your ISP type. So then the goal is to get uT setup with numbers for your connection which won't overload it.

Use the Speed Guide (Ctrl-G) as suggested and then go to Preferences -> BitTorrent and halve the numbers of active connections and global connections. Additionally turn off the features listed in the How-To post #2. On such a low bandwidth connection, every bit helps you squeeze speed off torrents :)

Additionally if you're having trouble with your DLINK, checking out Portforward.com and my post may help give you that insight you need to get it working. :D

Don't forget to test OpenOffice Torrents for a minute or two after you make any drastic changes to see if they make your situation BETTER or WORSE.

And as always providing a list of steps you did, and steps you were told to do but couldn't in a followup post helps ;)

I was reading some of the posts on sattellite internet, I think I might be screwed Firon actually said something about us not having real IPs. I emailed my provider and he said I shouldnt have a problem with Torrent clients, also Xbox live, but thats another story. I read through the forums and I have no Idea what to do. I went to port forward, set up a static IP and port forwarded everything necessary, checked it twice, still nothing. Did all the steps jewelsheaven said and still nothing... is it hopeless? BTW this is my dsl report

http://www.dslreports.com/im/46377909/6674.png

Right, just because you can't get a forwarded port doesn't mean you can't use bittorrent to get content. However it DOES mean you should do your UTMOST to keep the configuration as minimal as possible to avoid overloading your line. You should also be aware of your limits in-place. After reading that HughesNet plans I am ELATED they specify their strict limits on the plans page and wish other ISPs which offer more mainstream access did so. Even though they offer "low-grade" plans they are the straight-shooters I would recommend to people who are unable to get "traditional" terrestrial internet. Hmm your speedtest says 20 Mbit down 1 Mbit up?? That's screaming!! better than I've got on crippled cable internet ><>< (envy). In that instance you don't necessarily need to turn off the additional features but you will more-than-likely be unable to forward ports still due to you not getting an internet-routable address.

If you start->run->cmd /k ipconfig /all your Gateway IP is your Dlink right? Look for "gateway" or "WAN IP" in your router's configuration and that's to your sat modem... which will most likely be 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x or 192.168.x.x ... the private reserved IP ranges, which mean as Firon says you don't have "real internet address".

I really cant thank you enough for the help, I really do appreciate it. Im not on hughsnet, its just a private guy. I live out in the country on an acreage, they havent run cable out this far yet... sounds like im living in the dark ages but its not really that bad. My gateway is 192.168.0.1, so youre exzactley right. Is assume the problem is that I cant open enough ports to connect to other peers, thats why I tried the port forwarding. My thanks again

Archived