upload capping makes download speed worst

kttrs1

I am having the same problems with 1.3 seems all torrents upload 3 times as fast as they download.

Example: I can get 60/k + upload and 15/k + download. If I cap the upload speed at lets say 10/k then the download speed will match by dropping to 3 to 5/k . This happens with any torrent. It dosn't matter if I have 1 or 5 torrents running or if I cap it at another speed

lets say 20/k.

Example: If 5 torrents are downloading 1 maybe 2 will have a massive upload speed of 30 to 60/k + each. Of All 5 I would be lucky if 1 was downloading at 20/k + the others would be lucky to break a 10/k pace. If I cap the fast one another of the 5 would take it's place until all 5 are caped down, upload speed of all will drop. I have seen a little better results by instead of leaving the upload speed at the default 0 but to also change it to 100 when caping a down.

OK first off let me add that I am by no means a BT, or PC guru. I am one of the individuals that just needs a program that I can point and click more or less, sorry.

You will/would have to point me in a direction to figure out what my calculated and approximate actual upload speed PER upload slot is. If this will help I haven't changed any setting on the u torrent client. I currently have one 2GB download in progress 10 (104) seeds 40 (423) peers it's running approx. 19/k down and 54/k up. It has been avg. like this (as any torrent I try will act the same) eleven hours now with only 925/MB of the file completed and uploaded 1.5GB. Giving me a share ratio over 1.73 with only 44% of the file done. Believe me I don't mind sharing but I at least need to get the file first.

You will/would have to point me in a direction to figure out what my calculated and approximate actual upload speed PER upload slot is.

Calculated and approximate actual upload speed PER upload slot is not too hard to calculate.

NORMAL/Default upload slots per torrent is 4 -- that means µTorrent tries to only upload to 4 (actually normally there's 1 extra upload making total uploads 5) people at once.

Since you're only running 1 torrent, we can just assume you're only uploading to 4-5 people at a time.

You said upload speed was set to 60 KB/sec?

So...

60 KB/sec divided by 5 people = 12 KB/sec per upload slot if you're running just 1 torrent.

(Divide that result again by the total number of torrents if running more than 1.)

That's your calculated upload speed per slot.

You said it's currently running at 54 KB/sec?

So...

54 KB/sec divided by 5 people = 10.8 KB/sec per upload slot

That's your approximate actual upload speed per slot -- it's always going to be lower than the calculated value, but shouldn't be much lower!

Both are WELL over the 3-5 KB/sec upload per slot speed that I said was needed to get good download speeds.

@ kttrs1 I don't mean to hijack your thread just get in on the topic :)

You said upload speed was set to 60 KB/sec?

No it is set to the default 0 The numbers I posted in my last post.

I currently have one 2GB download in progress 10 (104) seeds 40 (423) peers it's running approx. 19/k down and 54/k up. It has been avg.

It was not caped and yes 4 slots open, thanks for showing me the how2. If you notice I have a good upload speed (54/k) but a low download speed. So if I were to cap the up speed to any number lets say 20 the down speed would drop off as well. At 19/k it probably would have fell to well below 10/k. So to me it seems I have a great upload client but a very poor one to download with unless I am missing some change I need to make.

0 upload speed means 'attempts to upload at infinite speed'. Something fails trying to do that, and download speed suffers IMMENSELY because of that.

So even though you're uploading at 54 KB/sec when set to 'unlimited' upload speed, if you actually limit upload speed to 54 KB/sec your download speeds should rise some. If you lowered your upload speed to 50 KB/sec, your download speed should increase a whole lot.

Lowering your upload speed below about 40 KB/sec though shouldn't see a big improvement in download speed...UNLESS your ISP is throttling BitTorrent traffic.

EDIT by silverfire: Quoting posts directly before yours serves only to clutter the forum.

Archived