Oink's says I'm not clever..

lament

Are you still able to upload?

And are you behind a router or no?

I just seeded about 1.5gigs of data on Oink with uT to test it, and it worked fine.

Try right clicking the torrent, and update tracker. See if it then says you're clever.

Are you still able to upload?

yes.

And are you behind a router or no?

of course.

Try right clicking the torrent, and update tracker. See if it then says you're clever.

been there done that.

here's what i'm noticing:

on a torrent where the seeder is not clever, I'm coming up as not clever.

on a torrent where the seeder is clever, I'm clever.

I've got the same problem actually, not just with Oink, but with all trackers. When using uTorrent they all say I'm not connectable, yet when I switch back to Azureus everything is fine.

I am using the same port in both apps, the port is open in my router and uTorrent is authorised in the NortonAV Program Control.

K.

One thing you can do is force uTorrent to send your WAN IP address in the announce. You can use http://checkip.dyndns.org to see you WAN IP. uTorrent's Preferences dialog has an option to override the outgoing IP address.

It's possible that uTorrent is sending a local IP address (like 192.168.x.xxx) which isn't valid outside your LAN.

• 3 weeks later...
One thing you can do is force uTorrent to send your WAN IP address in the announce. You can use http://checkip.dyndns.org to see you WAN IP. uTorrent's Preferences dialog has an option to override the outgoing IP address.

It's possible that uTorrent is sending a local IP address (like 192.168.x.xxx) which isn't valid outside your LAN.

Where do I put my IP address? Is it in the 'IP to report to tracker' part?

µTorrent never guesses your local IP. If you don't override the IP reported to tracker, it lets the tracker use the IP you contacted it from, which is correct in most cases. The only time you might need to override the IP is when you're using a proxy for tracker connections.

Therefore you don't need to override your IP unless you know that your public IP is not the same as the one the tracker recognizes.

So how do I become clever/connectable?

If you have a router:

1) go here and choose the router that you have.

2) once you find your router, click the link and it will bring you to a list of programs. choose BitTorrent.

3) follow the instructions to forward (open) a port in your router to allow BitTorrent traffic, but substitute port 50000 (or any high port) for 6881 in the example they give. the reason you want to avoid forwarding port 6881-6889 is that ISPs sometimes throttle (only allow a limited amount) of traffic on these ports, so using a high port like 50000 would be best. there is no "best" port for bittorrent - but choosing a high one makes certain that other programs won't be using the port you choose. And don't forget to put that port into utorrent.

4) go here and check to see if you forwarded your port correctly (change the number at the end to whatever port number you chose if you didn't choose 50000).

If you did all the above correctly, the port should say OPEN after you click the link in step 4.

if not, it's most likely because you forwarded the wrong IP in your router settings. you need to forward the port to your IP on your network. so if your router is 192.168.1.100 and you are 192.168.1.1, you need to forward the port to 192.168.1.1.

Start > Run > type cmd and hit Enter. Then type ipconfig and hit enter. Where it says IP address (probably starts with 192.168) - that is your IP on your network, and the IP you put into your router settings to forward the port to.

if you're STILL not clever, then some other program (Norton Anti-Virus, other firewall software) is blocking your ports. even if you've disabled the program - it still hides in the background.

I don't think I have a router... but I show up as open on that link... and was always clever/connectable on azureus, but only am sometimes with utorrent. I used task manager to close all processes of my anti-virus guard, though it was disabled anyway...

I don't think I have a router... but I show up as open on that link... and was always clever/connectable on azureus, but only am sometimes with utorrent. I used task manager to close all processes of my anti-virus guard, though it was disabled anyway...

um you would know if you have a router, because you would have to buy one. :)

yeah that's weird.

but jesus dude.. maybe it's because you're seeding over 100 torrents.

screen shot your torrent options window in utorrent.

you have torrents on there from July with no activity. any reason why you're not dumping those? having them seed forver isn't going to get your ratio up.

Oh, I leave them all on forced so I don't have to worry about any being deleted for lack of seeder activity, and when I'm trying to make sure I max out my upload on a specific site to improve my ratio. Plus it's hard to maintain a ratio there if your upload speed isn't very good - having 100 torrents is the best way to be sure someone will be downloading from you, and even then it isn't guaranteed. About 90% of them have no leeches, but if I stopped seeding them, once the active ones finished, I'd have no upload.

The older ones are actually best for improving my ratio, because they have the fewest seeds. They're not guaranteed a download, but if I have a few dozen of them and leave it overnight, it should be pretty constant.

utorrentss.jpg

So how do I become clever/connectable?

If you have a router:

1) go here and choose the router that you have......

......if you're STILL not clever, then some other program (Norton Anti-Virus, other firewall software) is blocking your ports. even if you've disabled the program - it still hides in the background.

Thank you so much

I finally am Network OK :D:D:D:D:D

Archived