Tracker goes from offline to online and seeds remain very limited

redexplosion

I've been using utorrent for several years now with no problems. Recently, after a wipe and reinstall of my compy, I've been having issues with trackers that I know are up (piratebay, waffles, mininova, ect.) reporting as offline. On top of that, my torrents are showing hundreds of seeds and leechers in a swarm and failing to connect to more than 2-5 seeds often times downloading at speeds of under 1 kBps. Even the openoffice test shows 300 or so seeds and I connected to 2 with an avg. download speed of 3 kBps. I've gone down the list in Ultima's slow speed guide to no avail. I just have no idea what the problem could be.

I'm using utorrent 1.7.7 connected to a linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT firmware and connected through Time Warner with a maximum upstream of around 90 kBps.

Any help would be appreciated.

... TWC doesn't offer 1Mbit upload packages... unless you're in some testing area

Offline trackers are covered in the How-To. If you regularly reset tcpip.sys, be sure you did the same after windows update procedures. But to isolate that as a possible cause be sure Ctrl-P -> Advanced -> net.max_halfopen is default 8 (* denotes non-default)

My ISP was bought by TW and my up is just under 1Mbit... In any case, I've done everything covered in the how to guide, like I stated before. I had reset the tcpip but I don't do it regularly. I haven't updated windows since I've done that either though. I had my halfopen variable set to 4 as stated in Ultima's speed guide and I reset it to 8 and it still has done nothing. Currently, I have seen a bit of an improvement as I can connect to around a dozen leechers at a time, but still no seeds.

Are you hitting your maximum set peers-per-torrent found under Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent ... uT cycles inactive peers bydefault, and when your connected peers go below the limits you set it also tries to connect to new ones. There is no guarantee you will connect to seeds on any given swarm. The situation appears to be related to traffic shaping common on TWC pipes. Be sure you are set to Forced encryption.. and you can even try disallowing legacy (unencrypted) connections. Even so you may need to update to 1.8 from the Announcements forum to get the usual 2 Mbit shaped speeds TWC forces on users.

My max number of connections per torrent is 80 and I'm hitting about 10 percent of that at any given time. I'm on a couple private trackers so I don't know if going with 1.8's alpha build is going to work. Any other ideas? If possible, do you have any more info on the TW traffic shaping?

8 peers per torrent??? How many torrents do you have running? Shaping is done at the network level and there's nothing to be done about it (yet.. pending the FCC investigation). I don't know anything about DD-WRT and what sort of logging it offers... but check to see if you're getting any sort of RST interference? That usually happens when you see people connect and immediately disconnect (under a minute)...it could also be http://xrl.us/ipfilter . Do you use ipfilter.dat?

Archived