Joining a University network

eliza2044

Hello,

I've got a problem downloading torrnets actually I cannot get connected with μTorrent at all. I think the problem is that I'm joining a shered university network.

Does anybody knows what do I have to do in order to get connected?

I would be really greateful if you could help...

Thanks in advance.

Generally speaking you are permanently double-NAT'd on a uni campus... and as such do not get a real IP and therefore cannot forward ports. There are procedures to try to get through some of it in the How-To but I'd first be sure OpenOffice doesn't work before you try changing uT settings. Another thing to be aware of once you do download you will want to use the Scheduler to turn off uT for most sections of time... perhaps making only 8 hours available to download a day. A spike in bandwidth usage will assuredly bring IT to your door :P You should also limit your speeds to xx/2Mbit I think using the Speed Guide, and further set half your download time to LIMITED mode and limit the download speed to something less than 5 Mbit (500 KiBps) so not everyone else on your node will get sluggish speeds. BitTorrent is alla bout sharing and being fair to others :)

Archived