Speed Problem

RMA10

I am extremely new to all this. I have Verizon DSL and a Westell 6100 modem. If I use another program such as Limewire I get download speeds as high as 80kbs but with uTorrent I get downloads at anywhere from 1-10kbs. I'm not sure what to set in preferences for anything. If I try the port forwarding I get to a certain point and get a 401 error. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Well, if you've followed the setup guide (Guides page below, link #3) you should see the part about testing with OpenOffice torrents or Slackware torrents. They should maximize your download just the same. I say SHOULD because other p2p apps use different protocols. With the ease-of-use for bittorrent, many vendors for ISPs employ traffic shaping on bittorrent traffic. To try and get around this, you can 1) go through Ultima's How-To concentrating on post #2 for limited web presence 2) be sure Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent is set FORCED encryption and dis-allow legacy connections 3) try the new beta 1.8 version. It includes workarounds to traffic shaping, confirmed to both WORK and NOT-WORK on ISPs.

Archived