Help me get my UPnP working with uTorrent

scoobie

I have to say that I really like uTorrent, I have always been an Azureus user but I like the fact that Utorrent uses so little resorces. The only problem I have with uTorrent is that the UPnP never kicks in, I always get a 'nat error'. I know that there is nothing wrong with my router because when I start up Azureus UPnP kicks in every time. Anyone got any suggestions on how to get it working with uTorrent?

UPnP is very picky and unreliable. There's many cases where it'll work for some clients and not for others. Sometimes it'll work on BitComet, and no other client, sometimes it works on anything except BitComet. In fact, sometimes even the same model router will have some that work with UPnP and some that don't. D-Links have severe UPnP problems, Linksys routers are hit and miss (often works, often doesn't), SpeedStream... you name it. UPnP just plain sucks.

You should just forward it yourself, it's not that hard.

UPnP is very picky and unreliable. There's many cases where it'll work for some clients and not for others. Sometimes it'll work on BitComet, and no other client, sometimes it works on anything except BitComet. In fact, sometimes even the same model router will have some that work with UPnP and some that don't. D-Links have severe UPnP problems, Linksys routers are hit and miss (often works, often doesn't), SpeedStream... you name it. UPnP just plain sucks.

You should just forward it yourself, it's not that hard.

Do you (or anyone) know how to do this with a Netgear DG834G. I have had a look myself, but im a little unsure on what to do. Any help would be really appreciated. :)

EDIT - Sorted it.

I have the Netgear WGR614 and uTorrent doesnt seem to work with its uPnP. Like the OP Azureus works ok, as does bitcomet.

The status bar reports uPnP(port) and sometimes tacks on the 'OK'. However the router management console (and the XP 'Internet Gateway' that gets discovered with SSDP) show that only a TCP port rule is being created ie. no UDP rule is created.

Another strange thing is that the external port is the internal port + 1. eg internal port 31000 external port 31001. Not sure if this is by design.

The may also be issues with the rule being removed on shutdown but I havent really tested this.

Spose I should fire up ethereal and have a look at whats going on...

According to the blog of the guy who recently did the Gaim uPnP code the hardest part was working around the various idiosyncrasies in different vendors/models uPnP implementations.

So I have forwarded the ports although I think this is suboptimal. There two main benefits of uPnP for me are; not leaving a port open when you are not using the client, and that uPnP will automatically account for a change in a DHCP'ed address.

Archived