Unable to open .torrent files with uTorrent by default

fluttrgrl

I used to use Azureus but decided to try uTorrent due to its vastly superior sheduling plugin.

I made uTorrent the default program for opening .torrent files, but it would never open them by default and Azureus would always open instead. I then uninstalled Azureus, but the problem has persisted. The following is an example of the error message I get whenever I click on a torrent file on a website:

"C:\Users\Kate\AppData\Local\Temp\Reaper.S01E11.HDTV.XviD-NoTV.[eztv][mininova].torrent could not be opened, because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences."

I have checked the file association in Windows (I am on Vista) about a dozen times and uTorrent is definitely the default program for opening .torrent files. I have also clicked the "Associate with.torrent files" button in the General preferences tab in uTorrent, but this does not actually appear to hold after applying and OKing. I have also uninstalled uTorrent, downloaded a fresh version and reinstalled and am still having the same problem.

I even tried changing the "Store .torrent files in" location in the "Other" tab to the same folder as the files are downloaded to. Nada.

In order to open a torrent file for downloading I need to manually open the website. Just a tad annoying.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Kate

Archived