1.7.7 process starts and closes in task manager

ezkim0x

I can't get utorrent 1.7.7 to run anymore.. I've had utorrent for about 3 months installed on this machine. when I logged onto it this morning it had restarted.. and utorrent wouldn't open anymore.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling.. restarting the pc. but the same problem occurs.

when I click on the utorrent icon it shows the process utorrent.exe in the process tab of task manager.. and then it disappears in about 4-6 seconds, and never shows the GUI

any ideas why it's doing this, and how to fix?

I have windows defender installed. I messaged my sysadmin and they said they didn't block anything.. but they could by lying. I haven't installed anything new, so I don't think it's having a problem with a program.

after renaming utorrent.exe to another filename and running it.. it worked just fine. thanks gen3ralD

That's just odd. Does uTorrent run correctly when it is renamed? You are able to load your settings and torrents correctly? I would ask for some more troubleshooting if you're up to it. Unfortunately it requires some extra 3rd party tools which may be too much if you aren't comfortable poking at your computer.

yeah it ran correctly and loaded the torrents from my application data after renaming.

I think my host is just lying to me, and they made 'utorrent.exe' process close out or something.

if you'd like for me to troubleshoot it, I can though.

Well this is technically for personal pleasure, since you can get uT to run currently, if in a work-around way.

The guy(s) who make sysinternals software were absorbed by Microsoft a while back and that means that when things don't work anymore he can just pop into Windows and verify code is broken or whatnot.... He details some of these troubleshooting operations on his blog... one of which talks about a program which wouldn't run.... http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2006/10/01/The-Case-of-the-Notepad-that-Wouldn_2700_t-Run.aspx

I would ask you to read through that... pick up filemon which he mentions and try to capture the output of what happens just prior and during your attempt to run uTorrent as utorrent.exe

I don't think any personal information would be listed in the saved "trace" but you may want to skim through it to be sure nothing would be embarrassing to see, and then put it in the thread. Truly the only options I can imagine are a system profile which excludes running uTorrent.exe, a software "security" suite disallowing utorrent.exe, a hijacking program which does not allow utorrent.exe, or ... random corruption which does not allow uTorrent.exe. From my own using filemon, it shows all sorts of goodies which are cool to watch if you're in a sandbox playing with rootkits or unknown exe's.

Hmm it looks like it was combined since then into process monitor http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx The usage should be the same but it will capture ... all activity, which still shouldn't be that much as long as the trace lasts only 10 seconds. You said it closes after 5 or 6 seconds?

Archived