DHT won't connect (but great speed)

thepitcher

Hello all,

Well after fixing a couple of problems (wonky firewall, ISP throttling workaround), I would like to solve my last issue. Basically, I am unable to connect to any DHT peers (nodes).

I do not have a router. I seem to have the problem whether my firewall is turned on or not. At the moment because of my problem with another firewall (100% CPU with uTorrent), I am using the Windows XP firewall.

I have not done the SP2 connection limit patch.

I have set a specific listening port to deal with the ISP packet shaping (speed throttling).

I have added an exception for uTorrent and TCP & UDP communications for the port in question.

I have had the UPnP setting in uTorrent off and it is now on. (But if I understand it, this is only for routers.)

I have left Enable Scraping and both Enable DHT settings checked.

I have checked 'Allow outgoing destination unreachable' in the ICMP settings of the Windows firewall.

Finally, I should mention that I have seen uTorrent briefly connect to 5 DHT peers, but mostly it reads 0 peers, and shows DHT status as 'announcing...' . This includes while being connected to several torrents with many peers (if that makes a difference).

Perhaps, I need to open more ports for outgoing connections. However, I don't think the Windows Firewall makes this easy (one port at a time). Regardless, I need to get a P2P friendly firewall. Is there a list of such recommendations somewhere? Even if this is part of my problem, I presumed I would have connected to DHT peers when the firewall was off.

I did a search for this issue -- hopefully, I didn't miss a thread somewhere. It seems the only DHT issues have involved people with routers or without UDP communications open. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Bill.

Actually, I was aware that mainline and uTorrent use the same DHT protocol. I am able to connect to DHT with Azureus. Indeed, I can connect on Azureus to these torrents that show offline in uTorrent. However, like others, I would prefer to use uTorrent all the time if possible.

I just figured I might eliminate another variable by trying a different client that uses the same DHT method.

Cheers, Bill.

I use Outpost as a firewall and have disabled XP's offering.

If you want to come close to eliminating the chance that your ISP is interfering with BT traffic, try running BitComet using header encryption with a torrent from a public tracker. If that works, then you know what the problem is.

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, DHT doesn't connect even without a router and the firewall turned off. I tried the mainline client and it appears it wouldn't connect with DHT either (although mainline provides much less information). So, it is obviously something with DHT and not uTorrent specifically. (As mentioned before, I can connect to DHT with Azureus.) I don't think my ISP could block uTorrent and not Azureus.

I occasionally am able to connect to a couple of DHT peers. So, something must get through once in awhile.

So, for the time being, I use uTorrent for most things and Azureus when I have problems connecting to a tracker.

Cheers, Bill.

Archived