No incoming connections for one user, other user is fine

novasoft

I'm running µtorrent on a windows dedicated server. The OS is windows 2003. There are 2 users on the machine.

Both run independent instances of µtorrent, one runs fine. The other which was running fine till a few days ago now either shows the yellow no incoming connections icon or shows no icon at all. The green icon never appears.

Both instances use different ports and port forwarding on the user where µtorrent isnt connecting shows the port being forwarded properly.

On the user that has connection problems I have tried different versions right from 1.6 to the 1.8 beta, none of them seems to make a difference. I have also tried using the encryption option and also without it to the same outcome.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks

Yes the dedicated server has a static IP and the windows firewall has been turned off.

The point you missed is that there is only one computer which has 2 users. Its not 2 different computers.

On windows 2003 you can have 2 rdp sessions with 2 different users, so in effect you are running 2 versions of µtorrent concurrently on different ports. Now the issue that im facing is that one instance shows no incoming connections where as the other one shows the green connected icon and is letting users download the torrents, so its a bit of a mystery for me at this point

Thanks

It's possible your router settings changed. If it was working previously perhaps usage triggered a response from the ISP limiting you in both connections and bandwidth. If you stop running uT in one user does the other user pick-up?

Did you perform any maintenence on the server "a few days ago"? What about update software/windows? Settings in uT are user agnostic... as long as your hardware can support X connections and Y torrents on both it will chug happily along.

I don't think the router settings are changed as I rebooted the server, so now both the users are using the exact same settings.( other than the utorrent port that is) It is also an unmetered server so the question of throttling either connections or bandwidth doesn't arise.

Updates, no, there havent been any updates to either the hardware or software.

And yes logging off the second user ( effectively shutting the 2nd utorrent instance) doesn't seem to have any positive effect on the first instance. And im not sure how correct this comment is "as long as your hardware can support X connections and Y torrents on both it will chug happily along" as if I try to seed more than 1000 torrents it seems to choke µT.. of course that's totally another conversation on tangent better left out of this discussion.

OK another question. If nobody is downloading any of the torrents that are being seeded by a utorrent client, would the "green" icon still be displayed?

At this moment its stopped showing the yellow icon, but its not showing the green icon either, so an absence of either icons should be construed as incoming connections are active?

Archived