Weird Speeds

tubs2222

When I start my uTorrent the speed bursts up to 300kb/s, but so after it goes down to a 50kb/s and doesn't rise back. (btw i'm downloading 18 torrrents)

I've read what everyone has wrote in other threads, but I couldn't find a solution.

I'm currently running Windows XP Pro SP2

and my router is Microsoft MN-100

Have you run the hack to bypass the 10 max half-open connections in Win XP SP2?

Are you using UPnP in your router to avoid being firewalled?

(many routers can't handle that with lots of connections, they may start out fine but slow down or crash.)

I cannot imagine that you have your upload speeds set high enough so each upload slot across the 18 torrents gets decent speeds.

Below about 3-5 KB/sec PER upload PER torrent, seeds and peers will be far less likely to upload to you quickly in return for your upload to them.

Sorry bare with me i'm new at this :)

No, I'm not fimiliar with the hack used on SP2

I'm not really sure, but in the uTorrent it says UPnP (52684) OK

I set my upload speed to unlimited but they keep bouncing up and down (barley reaching past 20kb/s from the 18 torrents running)

I'm not really sure, but in the uTorrent it says UPnP (52684) OK

I set my upload speed to unlimited but they keep bouncing up and down (barley reaching past 20kb/s from the 18 torrents running)

So you have 18 torrents running, probably with 4 uploads on EACH torrent...and your TOTAL upload speed barely reeaches past 20KB/sec?

OUCH!

TCP handling may break down handling 70+ uploads at once.

That's only about 0.3 KB/sec per upload slot.

UPnP on many routers may seem to work ok...for a little while at least. But then as time goes on, it may slow down and/or crash unexpectedly.

Whether you get a new router or not, if you're uploading less than 150 KB/sec you REALLY need to reduce the number of torrents you run at once and reduce the number of upload slots EACH has.

I don't trust any Microsoft hardware...it's all lowest-cost-bidder renamed stuff. At times, some of it is actually decent quality, but then even without a name change OR version change they have swapped manufacturers (lower costs, of course!) and put quality about the same level as their security levels in their home OSes.

Disabling UPnP (on your computer, router, and in µTorrent) and using port-forwarding instead should be less of a load on your computer, router, and µTorrent.

Archived