Linksys Router.. WRT54GS

broken

Well my problem is this:

I have the the linksys router with speed booster, the model is wrt54gs, I went into the router settings and opened the ports 6881, to 6889.

I am getting very slow speeds like I am behind a firewall, I am using utorrent as my client. And my speed is at 0.0 kbs. And doesn't move from there. I am on a 3mbit connection. So I should be seeing speeds of at least 100kbs or higher especially on something that has so many peers and seeds.

Is there a way to configure utorrent in the settings for my router? Or why is it im getting such low speeds? ( was the same with bittornado and azureus the speeds never changed from 1kbps or 0.0 kbps) Even if I take my router out and just leave the cable modem hardwired to the computer I see slow speeds. I mean like 20 kbs. I have no idea why. Could there be something on my computer lessening my speed? The windows firewall is disabled and I am under no firewall.

Help please I"ve been downloading like this for the last month and I haven't been able to complete anything yet.

Also, your ISP may have tuned their BitTorrent throttling software to make your download/upload speeds using basically any BitTorrent client (even BitComet with its supposed 'encrpyted headers') almost nil. A Google search on the subject (searchterms: myispname bittorrent problem ) might turn up if others have the same problems.

Another thing, wireless routers seem to be another layer of problems for BitTorrent programs -- they simply don't handle as many connections at once if you're using the wireless connection instead of wires.

Have you verified using very up-to-date antivirus (almost any big brand) and antispyware (Ad Aware and SpyBot v1.4) that there's nothing 'extra' on your computer that might be causing these problems?

I use AVG Antivirus and it scans every morning, and self updates so I know I Have no virus. I use adaware and reg mech, along with crap cleaner.. to ensure my computer is kept clean.

I do have a wireless connection to my downstairs computer. So now what can I do that its wireless I used to be able to download really quickly before I cannot anymore and its ticking me off. I got rid of Azureus my fav bit client but it hasn't changed a single thing. I'll check up on the isp and respond back. By the way my isp is Rogers. I am from Canada. If anyone knows about it.

The reason I think its not the rogers is because just a month ago before we moved I was downloading at my old house with Rogers internet and it was fast downloading. But that was on my old computer I just got a new computer and its this computer that is having problems. Its an HP computer my old computer was custom built but this is the one my mom wanted and its better so I've been using this one. Could it be because HP made it? I know they limit some of the features.

But I've only really been experincing problems since I got this router. But it seems that evenwithout the router in .. I am downloading at slow speeds. Hmm..

Rogers is notorious for turning on/off BitTorrent throttles and complete bans -- even from area to area.

In areas they 'oversell', they end up with more cablemodems connected than their lines can handle...so they basically KILL almost every form of file-sharing so there's more bandwidth left over to do almost nothing with.

Archived