Newby security questions...

alternate2007

I'm an "older" computer enthusiast and information junkie, and I am brand new to using torrents. Now that I have a newer computer, I am especially concerned about vulnerability issues that I have heard about with using torrents (before I get started).

Hearing vague, but negative statements (unfounded or not) like, "yeh, people could hack into your s@#$!", doesn't make me feel any better about it. I had also heard that you could set aside a folder that others could access/share, and that would be the only one, so that being hacked would not be any more of an issue than with regular computer use on the Internet. I don't want to leave the door to my house open all the time either. I am sure there are many aspects that I don't understand yet.

Can someone clarify relevant vulnerability issues using torrents (or Utorrent specifically) with me, please?

Thank you in advance

Quick Reply suggestions...

I use...with relative success..

You can search for these softwares successfully to find DIRECT LINKS to the main sites.

ESET NOD32 Smart Security .. Important to get to know the program inside and out. Always deny lsass.exe incoming attempts... :) Integration of this programs with the rest of your system, done properly should secure just about anything you do, with any program. Even if something does happen.. with these you can probably fix it.

Peer Guardian 2 .. using all five default lists, start manually, update daily and add Bluetack Lists as well. Get to know this program and the fact that it is capable of blocking updating and connections to various software vendors..Good stuff..

uTorrent.. LOVE IT, and has a built in filter, thoroughly explained on how to use and maintain..here in the forums.

SpyBot Search and Destroy... Excellent for securing your system and repairing the system from any known attacks or malicious files.

SeConfig .. small program that will allow you to close various ports and protocols, and other aspects of your internet connection to make it more secure.

cFos Speed .. Traffic Shaping software that is capable of program prioritization, layer 7 protocol detection and many other features.

Sophos Anti-Rootkit... Handy little tool..

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer ... will scan your system for many vulnerabilities and inform you on how to secure the system.

PGP Desktop.. Encryption software that will allow you to shred files up to 49 passes and encrypt various pieces of information for private use, and protection.

SecAgent Security Administrator - guards against unauthorized changes in your system..With such an issue all you have to do is reboot..Snap back to the way it was.

ID USB Lock Key - Disables autorun features for all drives and locks system which can not be opened or accessed, without the USB Key...In case of any immediate threat, or violation of privacy.

BIOS Password which disallow for the changing or initiation of said password by anyone else..Also disable boot from lan, and Drive Lock Protection may also be available within the system settings. Also until you need it, disable booting from the other drives on your system and LAN.

BartPE - In the even of hard drive failure due to malware and the such..( who knows what may happen ) You may boot using this disk, to get all of your media and files off your hard drive, after changing BIOS settings and booting from the drive. This will enable you to recover your files without making HUGE back-ups of your system.

PC Beginners Tools 2007...Excellent CD, that will enable you to perform various functions on your system including lost passwords and password reset.

Routers..make sure to configure your router correctly, use your firewall and always encrypt any wireless connections you may have. Use passwords to secure your system and change them often. This will disable anyone from using your network and/or internet service within proximity. Disabling all network protocols with Seconfig, and the router, along with any available network shares should disable any vulnerabilities that may be present using your local intranet/network. While you may have a secure system other vulnerabilities may be present through other systems on the network. So unless you need to have a local network with other systems..don't use it.

Running services...Be sure to check your running services and shut down protocols or un-necessary services pertaining to your system. This not only can optimize your system but may also shut down any extra exploits, or number thereof by eliminating the service. LOL.. kind of like the old addage that states the only secure system i one that is not hooked up to the internet.. well 'no service, no exploit'.

Using the aforementioned programs to scan your local hard drive and external drives, along with any newly downloaded and created files can greatly reduce the risk to you.

Full system maintenance should be performed atleast once a month, with these programs.

Archived