wildy fluctuating d/l speeds

doctorpsylus

hi all.

ive been usin utorrent 2 d/l+u/l stuff for ages.i recently aqquired 2 laptops+from my bog standard pc gettin 37.5 kbs on a good day,i was astonished at gettin 250 kbs on the laptop!

i then got the vista laptop+good lord=even faster over 300kbs constant!

however this comes at a price- i was hoping that i would be able 2 return "things" from whence they came(recyclin init lol)by uploding some things that i wasnt able to find on here rather than u/l yet another cam version of yet another rubbish movie.i create torrent-save+then upload via mininova(as ive taken so much,i wanted 2 try +give back)so i tried 2 tests+ i am havin problems-the torrents are there (on mininova) they have leechers yet my green tick has gone+the dreaded no incoming connections thing is up-port isnt forwarded-yet if i get shot of the uploads everythin returns

both show 100% obviously-but no upload-correction one has started 2 crawl at 3.1kbs

am i being impatient? this is 2 hours since i uploaded+like i say as i write this,it has kicked in-still got the no connection triangle

i have both as "initial seeding"-should i be force starting these?

i have initial seeding checked in the prefs too

i know its somethin simple ive overlooked,any help appreciated,cheers

ok its a netgear router dg834g+laptops wireless built in adaptor

mcafee firewall(suite)

havent messed with ip settings as it works perfect until i try to seed my own uploads,again the downloads are flyin so there has to be some connection,i looked at the port forward test thing but simply saying " go into the router" is not very helpful as 1st you have to locate the darn thing on the lappy+2nd the settings are ok until i try to do this,why is a created torrent doing what a downloaded torrent isnt?

unless its a seperate/different/alternate port for uploading?

perhaps it may be cos im downloading at the same time? i can wait for that 2 finish+then reboot+start again,will look at the ip+the dhcp range-ive always assumed that because i had good d/l speeds-i would have no trouble setting up torrents to go out so 2 speak.many thanks for speedy reply any way m8,cheers

Pretty easy idea to get you to the router is start->run->cmd /k ipconfig and try to browse to the Default Gateway. Common IPs, if your IP Address is 192.168.0.101 ARE 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.254.

I'd be surprised if NOTHING about that line of netgear are mentioned @ http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

If you're the sole uploader you MUST be connectable, as you're not being a fair uploader expecting only other peers to be connectable. Also, there are usually many more peers than seeds on swarms, and as TheShad0w explains http://bt.degreez.net/firewalled.html the more firewalled peers on a swarm, the more "hammered" the connectable ones get.

Archived