"Select Error" Driving me fucking insane.

saqt

About every 10 minutes it says "Select Error" where it says "Network OK" and then all the torrents stop and start up about 5 minutes later. I thought it was my router so i took out the router and am going directly to my cable modem now. It still keeps doing this. I have the windows xp firewall disabled and no other firewall. Please fucking tell me how to stop this from happening.

wfgwg7ir.gif

It has nothing to do with the ports either, I've always used a high port (as in 655**), and it has nothing to do with the bandwidth being throttled either, because this bug is like a yo-yo.

NAT okay (downloading/uploading) -> Select error (no transfer whatsoever) -> NAT okay -> Select error .... and so on, every few seconds.

It has nothing to do with the ports either, I've always used a high port (as in 655**), and it has nothing to do with the bandwidth being throttled either, because this bug is like a yo-yo.

NAT okay (downloading/uploading) -> Select error (no transfer whatsoever) -> NAT okay -> Select error .... and so on, every few seconds.

Yup, exact same problem for me. I bought a new router today too and it still dosnt work.

i'm not saying it's related to the error - i was just pointing out that one shouldn't be using ports 6881-6889. :)

Im also having this problem :(

I keep persevearing because while its working its great but as soon as that select error raises its ugly head speeds drop and come back and drop ..... you know same old.

Its happened on two system for me, only common things have been SP2, nod32 and our ISP. On my system ports have been forwarded, on the other upnp was used.

If you need any information for debugging or anything else, yell out and ill grab it.

Thanks for the effort of developing the client :)

Fantastic :)

Set global to 30 and Network OK.

To test it out I put the global back up and watched the peers rise. As soon as it hit 50 I got a select error.

Dropped it back down to 30 and select error hasnt come back.

Thanks vurlix. Im happy to keep my peers low for now. Is it something easily fixed?

Assuming that I'm right, and that keeping the number of connections low fixes the problem, then the fault lies with whatever program (antivirus, firewall, bandwidth monitor, etc) is intercepting µTorrent's network function calls -- they're assuming that the maximum number of connections polled at the same time with the "select" function is 64. However, Microsoft allows you to increase this to whatever number you want, and µTorrent does exactly that. We'll have to use a workaround if this is indeed what is happening..

Looks like you are right vurlix.

Even though i should be doing work Ive been watching whats happening when i get a select error.

It will gradually pick up peers until it gets around 63 and then it will pop up with a select error and all speeds drop to zero. It then starts to drop off peers until it gets back down to around 50 and network ok comes back and speeds return. This pattern happens even when I have quit nod32 and my firewall (outpost).

Ive set a max of 55 peers globally and it seems to be working fine now. Speed limited to some extent, but just fine.

*Sigh* I was kinda hoping that the developers of such common/popular firewall software would actually have a clue, but I guess they're all morons if they can't properly handle well documented behavior of the API they are supposed to emulate. Pathetic.

Archived