Peer ban on hashfails

yoinkster

Hey guys, I'm totally new to utorrent and am only using it because it runs as a separate uninstalled exe while at work :P

anyway, I'm used to Az nuking peers after a number of hash fails that I set.

I understand that utorrent does this automatically after 5 has fails by the peer?

That's all well and good but I don't really want to go ahead and waste company bandwidth needlessly so I want to set it lower {yes yes pros and cons of banning peers, not their fault, shared responsibility of total pieces blah blah blah, don't want to discuss the issues :P} but couldn't find a blatant option for it in the preferences.

But I did find under the advanced "DO NOT CHANGE THESE OPTIONS" page {why are they there if I can't change them :P} bt.ban_threshold that was set to 5 ... is this the one I want to change for peer banning on hash fails ?

Oh, I'm using 1.7.7 if that matters ...

That warning is there because unless you actually know what you are doing or you got instructions here on this forum or on the IRC you shouldn't touch those options. You'd be surprised how many people still get into trouble because they ignore that warning.

And yes the bt.ban_threshold is the one you are looking for. For explanation about the ban_ratio options take a look at the help file. Found at http://www.utorrent.com/download.php

Please keep in mind that hashfails simply can happen. Unless you use a lot of torrents with too large a piece size a threshold of 5 should be fine.

Cool that's great, thanks, yeah I understand that hashfails can just happen but when I've got an 802 piece torrent and 280 hashfails totally over 500megs of wasted traffic I'd rather lower the threshold than waste any more bandwidth :P ... especially considering the torrent is well seeded and peered (;

Thanks for the confirmation.

Archived