uTorrent refuses to start. Installer/.exe vanishes EACH TIME.

Pardon

I'm sure this has been asked, and I used the search feature but all I can find are a bunch of people with totally different issues than mine. Each time I run uTorrent from a fresh .exe I download, the .exe vanishes (which maybe it's supposed to, I don't know.) and it runs fine. That is until I close uTorrent for the night and then I try to run it the next day and nothing at all happens. It's like running a shortcut that doesn't exist. Sorry to bother everybody with this question, but I'm really getting sick of having to download uTorrent each night again and again.

Make sure your %PROGRAM FILES%\uTorrent directory is not read only ... are you on Vista? Where are you saving files to? Have you checked %APPDATA%\uTorrent for read-only as well? When you say YES, the exe is copied/moved to the program files and then it runs uT from there. If you don't have a utorrent.exe in program files.... there could be software reverting the state. Are you trying to do this on campus computers or something where the technicians are likely to implement this to keep from reinstalling windows

No, this is my home computer, XP Home SP2, but yes, I checked all that. I just installed it again and ran it from the desktop shortcut and now it seems to be working ok, thought the desktop one vanished. Quick launch is working fine now too. I think this laptop just needs a fresh OS install, really. Thanks for the help though.

Edit: I just checked the read only attributes again, and yes, it keeps reverting back to read only. Also, the files are saved into....C:\documents and settings\myself\my documents\downloads

Archived