What i am missing ? Everything seems OK but ...

jayjay

Hello,

I have a 15 Mbit/s connexion which is OK : speedtest OK with this speed.

Utorrent network status is OK (green icon) and there are no upload or donwload limit.

I am on Win XP home edition SP2 and i increased the TCP limit connection from 10 to 50.

When i download popular torrents the speed is very low, about 60 kb/s, sometimes 100kb/s (for Open Office).

If some one could help me because there is something i can't understand about this very low speed.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in my problem.

In the first picture you'll see that i can download up to 1 Mo/s from an http server.

In the second one, you can see my ctrl-G, and the download speed of slackware.

Ok it is the first time i see utorrent downloading at this rate, but most of popular torrents that i could previously dl (previous winxp installation) at about 300 / 400 ko/s are very slow now (about 60ko/s).

Meanwhile 500 ko/s is aboout the half of my current bandwidth...

DTA is not a speedtest. Please use the button or somewhere else which tests your linespeed and report both their down and up values ;)

From slackware I know you have at least a 6Mbit down.. but I'm more concerned with.. and bittorrent requires to know your upload limit. Hence the reliance in http://utorrent.com/setup_guide.php on setting that connection type in Ctrl-G to be xx/1Mbit or what-have-you.

I have a feeling you've got xx/384 or xx/512 but please report back with the speedtest. HOWEVER with this said, your slow download speed is due to the swarm unfortunately. Perhaps setting the values a little lower (by default after you select anything under xx/2Mbit) will help you upload less to keep you from hitting your cap.

Edit: I fail at manual typing urls

Speed tests depends on a lot of factors (location, server bandwidth, ...) which interfere the result. That's why my best approximation is the multiple downloading with dta.

ie a speed test server tells me that my dl speed is far away from the one i see in utorrent while downloading slackware.

Here is my theoretical dl/ul : 17594 kbps / 1021 kbps

I reach this when i use an ethernet connection, but as i am now using wifi i have a bit less.

In that regard, xx/1Mbit indeed... well for wifi, lower that to xx/512, and for your interference dock it to xx/384. That will give you theoretically 48 maximum, but set it to % of that. Do you consistently upload at that amount? The Speed tab should be a horizontal line roughly at your set limit.

its better, i am downloading à about 750 ko/s

don't understand where the last 250 ko/s are, but whatever, as you say, it seems that we can't do anything more.

I thank you very much for your time and your kindness.

(and sorry if my english was not very good as it's not my mother tongue)

;) No problem. Yeah, as long as your upload isn't hitting your ISP cap, you should be able to download at that speed all the time as long as there's peers who can send to you that fast. If you're also unclear with uT you should check out the Manual (on guides page and in my signature)... it's not translated, but it includes alot of contextual guidance (there's even some pictures, I think... but no moreso than for the previous 1.7 version)... and as always if you have other questions, feel free to ask, though try to search beforehand.

Archived