Speed problems with Philips CGA5722

jernobyl

# EVERYTHING you've tried so far, including ANYTHING listed above

I have done everything listed above before on this laptop - all I've done is change routers and change internet connections, as I've moved. I'm now with BT broadband (for my sins), and I have a Philips CGA5722 router. The uTorrent ports are open in the router GUI. I'm using a static IP of 192.168.2.138, and the resolving webpages works fine so I am connected. It's an ADSL connection.

The speed checker says I get download of 1270kb/s downstream, and 190 kb/s upstream, with a latency of 186. At the moment the best download speed I can get, is 8 kb/s. The highest upload speed I can get is 1.5 kb/s.

# Color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar (at the bottom of the µTorrent main window)

Green.

# What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes

Green and OK, accepting connections.

# What the Speed Guide shows your settings to be (press Ctrl+G in µTorrent)

xx/192

# What you have net.max_halfopen set to (Preferences > Advanced in µTorrent)

# Operating system installed (Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95, NT? Something else?)

Vista

# Security software installed (firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware)

McAfee, with the firewall set to allow full access to uTorrent. I should note that I haven't touched McAfee since the point when I was using that other DSL connection and everything was working perfectly, so surely this should be fine.

# Exact router model(s), and exact modem model

Philips CGA5722

# ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used

BT Broadband

# Connection type (DSL, cable, dial-up), and the results obtained from the speed test (when running the Speed Guide), for both download AND upload.

As above, ADSL, and 1270 downstream, 190 upstream.

I'm usually pretty good with these things but I can't work out for the life of me what's wrong.

Your ISP definitely does BitTorrent throttling/disruption, though I don't believe it's normally as bad as the results you're getting.

I'm wary of McAfee -- could you test with it uninstalled?

(Do note that your router needs to only have uTorrent's incoming port forwarded while testing...no need for extra risks.)

Yeah, I thought that, but like yourself I didn't think it'd be quite that bad.

I certainly will uninstall McAfee (I've had enough of its rubbish anyway) and test the connection, when I get home. Watch this space.

What do you mean about "needs to only have uTorrent's incoming port forwarded while testing"?

Thanks for getting back to me! :)

A router's hardware firewall is generally quite good -- better than letting a software firewall on your computer try to handle most incoming packets.

But if you forward everything from the router to your computer, (such as DMZ does) you've basically turned off the router's hardware firewall.

OK, hi, sorry to have taken so long to get back, I did what you said and uninstalled McAfee, which sped my computer up quite a bit, but has had no affect on uTorrent, still sitting at about 9 kbps download and very little upload...

Aha, now that seems to have done something. On the OpenOffice test torrents, I am now getting speeds of nearer 100kbps. Still very very little upload, mind you. That seems to have helped somewhat, thanks. Any other tweaks you think I could try, to up that a wee bit?

The OpenOffice test torrents have some of the fastest internet connections in the world sharing them 24-7. They typically overload anything downloading with speeds far faster than the receivers can sustain. So if you try to upload to a peer, the peer's usually so overloaded that it can't reliably download from you too.

Even when people have VERY BAD settings in uTorrent, the OpenOffice test torrents usually run very fast. This is precisely because they don't have to upload any to get max download speeds.

Archived