I/O Device Error?? Help!!

BxB402

I have been using UTorrent for about 3-4 months give or take, and bittorret for many years before that(yes, late upgrader) and have never had a problem downloading anything..untill now. Everytime i try to DL something it will find peers and start and even get some of the file downloaded...then i hit a snag. It will completely stop the download and give me the message "Error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

I have no idea what could be causing this, it worked fine a few days ago(i downloaded a few things) and i have not changed anything on my computer. Everything else such as internet and so on are working fine.

The only major thing that has happened was the power went out while my computer was still on and was off for a good 24 hours. I'm in Omaha and was one of the 120,000 without power after fridays BIG storm(100MPH winds and rain that lasted a whopping 15 minutes :-P). I was en-rout to shut down my system once the sirens went off but just as i grabbed the mouse to do so, BLAM, power was gone. This has happened before but not effected my system.

Anyone know or have any idea as to what is causing this error?

... I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that sounds like it could be the beginning of the end for your hard drive. I would double check first for bad sectors with a CHKDSK at the command line. (start->run->cmd /k chkdsk) Hopefully it's a one-time deal.

What kind of device do you save your bittorrent downloads on? If it's external you may simply have a loose/bad connection... but on an internal device I/O errors are a sign of either driver problems or faulty hardware.

Heh, I'm thankful more people are not hurt by kind of weather. Out here where I'm from we only have to deal with earthquakes... much safer IMO.

I usually just save them to my desktop where i can move them to wherever else more easily. Hopefully it's just some conflict or some such, but a major prob wouldn't suprise me. This thing is pretty old(02-03) and is a major POS. I just hoped it would hold out decently untill i can afford a new system.

Well, i fixed it.

I ran Chkdsk and it found a few lil issues and fixed them but my torrents were still doing the same thing.After a lil while I figured i'd try changing the download location from the desktop to my folder i keep all my crap in(which is on the desktop oO) and it worked.

The download i was trying at the time was still having some downloading issues. The kbps was pretty low for quite a while, never went above 40 for a good 2 hours, where usually it's at least in the 100-200 range. Then i fell asleep for an hour or so and it was done when i woke up. This may just have been due to the peers though. Next DL i'll try it on the desktop again, see if it continues to error. if so, then i guess i'll just have to put stuff in my folder, lol

Archived