Forwarding Ports.

drragostea

I'm new to uTorrent, and I'm having trouble forwarding ports. I've read the portforward .com articles and the Wikipedia articles, but I have no idea what it is talking about. I'm still getting a yellow icon in uTorrent.

The software PORTFORWARD requires me to set a TCP and some kinda UCP port number.

I'm assuming that forwarding my port, will resolve the downloading speeds.

I use Windows XP SP3 & Westell 6100 modem (I've read the article about it, but it's too dated).

Thanks for any help.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you define your network topology and the corresponding devices manufacturers and models? What's your network status icon and message in µTorrent?

Off topic: What's data drain like in G.U.? And are there subsets of that skill like the original series?

Bleh. I'm having trouble comprehending what the "topology" of my network is. I think it might be "bus", but I'm not sure. All I can say is that my connection is not Wi-Fi.

~It has a yellow ETHERNET wire connected DIRECTLY to my desktop PC. A telephone like wire (it's white) is connected directly to the phone jack. I'm the only user.

When I started using Comodo Pro I received a red icon. I switched firewalls to ZA Free but still got a Yellow icon. I tried it with Windows firewall too. Apparently, the port that is forwarded in speed guide is CLOSED.

I'm still getting a yellow. I tried the OpenOffice torrent, I got to a max of 54kb/sec then it dropped to 0.4kb/sec. The article in PortForward is too dated.

Off Topic: You play as the protagonist Haseo. He has the "avatar" Skeith within him. Skeith activates in the beginning and Haseo attempts to tame and use it's powers. However Haseo abuses Skeith for tournament battles and wins all of them.

Basically instead of field battles, there's avatar battles. It's Skieth again this "unknown" phenomenon called AIDA. Storyline is amazing... 40 hours of meticulous gameplay :P Thanks GTHK

:)

Anyway, topology as in what to what to what, like mine is WebSTAR DPC2100R2 [Cable Modem] -> Linksys WRT54G [Wireless Router] -> computers and Nintendo DS's.

But it sounds like yours is DSL modem -> Computer. For port forwarding, what do you mean by dated? Is the interface on the modem newer? Is this the guide you looked at? http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Westell/Westell6100/Utorrent.htm And if it is, what was wrong with it?

I am having the exact same problem and doing the port forwarding seems impossible for me as I tried and its much too complicated to do. I tried and had to call my ISP to fix what I did. I use a DSL modem its Zoom (brand) and its taking me days (literally) to download anything with utorrent. I also get the yellow icon saying my connection may not be correct or something and have no idea how to speed it up as you apparently have to be a PC programmer to forward ports. isnt ther any easier way??

Check your listening port in µTorrent, and use your listening port for every option. If you TCP or UDP you can choose both, then use that, otherwise make a copy another rule the same way except for UDP. Screenshots for something your stuck on can help.

Jonos: It'd be better to make your own thread in troubleshooting, it keeps things cleaner and ensures I'll pay attention :P

OT: It'll be a while before I get to it, what the hell is up with Azure Kite?

I'm not sure what you meant when you said 'every option'. I can't seem to find anything on "listening ports" in the preferences. I attached an image. If it doesn't show then go to the link.

Not sure how it may help.. but I was wondering if the "Install IPv6" button had to do with it.

OT: Kite as in .hack//GU? It's not Kite. It's a "recreation" of Kite. I won't spoil it for you. Notice how 'it' never speaks.

I was talking about port forwarding the router, the information it asks for, for the ports enter 500.. actually, you should probably use something else, a number above 10000. Or just 10000. Enter that or something in µTorrent and then enter it into the routers port forwarding ports. If you specifiy a range, just 10000 to 10000.

Alright. Thanks for clarifying. Give me another shot. I have the Port Forwarding option. Just don't know what or how to add it. Attached below. Thanks GTHK.

OT: First game of .hack//GU is very basic. You get ALL the action in the second and last part.

What do I enter?

The problem might be the port your using. Enter 10240 into all of those fields, protocol TCP/UDP. Afterwords go to µTorrents preferences, find listening port, and change it to 10240. Is UPnP disabled in µTorrent? After doing all that, what does the port tester say? What is the network status message on mouse over?

Alright, let me get this straight.

The first two screenshots would be the current entry.

The third (last) screenshot would be creating a new entry. Do I edit the current one? Or do I delete the current one and create a new one?

The second screenshot was the details tab of IPSEC ALG. I couldn't edit it. Although I can add a new entry (and delete the old one).

--

Also, for the last screenshot (create port service) do you mean entering the port# on ALL the spaces (Global Port Start, Stop and Base Host Port)?

Host should be fine, I just hope it doesn't choke on the fact you actually got a µ in there. My router didn't accept that at all. Did you enter an ending port but it just blanked it out since it was the same?

Oh, then I'm going to edit it again.

So it's uTorrent?

I entered 10240' as you instructed in ALL the blank spaces as indicated in the third screenshot in POST #10. However like you said, the GLOBAL PORT END appears blank. is that a problem?

I thought it was DYNAMIC. I'm going to set it to dynamic.

The port is opened.

I used HOST instead of DYNAMIC. Can you explain to me why it would be 'safer'? The page said allows 'unsolicited' traffic.

Edit: I'm going to test a torrent. Trying OpenOffice.org. I'll report back.

The icon is green. I've set my download and upload to unlimited.

GTHK, what happens if you limit the upload?

I noticed that the upload is more than the download :(.

Port open? YAY! Host was just as an insurance. It's not actually safer, but the worst someone can do is crash µTorrent, and it seems that those bugs were fixed in 1.7.7. IF YOU USE DHT, dynamic might work, it depends on your router (and something I don't feel like checking right now). If dynamic does work, then it can be left there.

Regarding speed limits, if you don't limit, then every resource is used till your connection chokes and you can barely browse and crap, can impact download as well. Setup the limits according to the guide here: http://www.utorrent.com/setup_guide.php

Yea, that was what I thought (the speed limit) because I heard that if you don't give you don't get. So I was setting my upload and download to unlimited... then the upload was faster than my download.

Is DHT in the uTorrent Preferences?

Host was just as an insurance? Don't you mean "assurance"?

Alright, to cut you to slack... can you tell me the advantages and disadvantages of using HOST and DYNAMIC?

Edit: Why choose port 10240? Was it by random?

DHT is enabled by default. If you're not getting the speeds you expect, the next place to direct you to is here. "to cut you to slack"? :P

Well, HOST I know will work, since it will always send the incoming data on that port to your computer. DYNAMIC is supposed to activate whenever needed, which might actually prevent other peers from timing out properly (disadvantageous to others), but prevents your PC from being bugged (uselessly advantageous to you). I'd leave it on host, but your welcome to tinker with it, and set it back if your port doesn't stay open.

As for the port, sorta? First I thought 10000 randomly, then I decided 10240 because, example: 10240 megabytes divided by 1024 equals 10 gigabytes.

The port chosen should be above 1027 at least (or some number like that).

Your speed is ok then? And.. lemme check..

The Well Known Ports are those from 0 through 1023. DCCP Well Known ports SHOULD NOT be used without IANA registration.

Unless your trying to get around blocks. Plus, I didn't want your Westell mucking with it. I wont be getting to .Hack//G.U. anytime soon :/... is Mia in it?

GTHK, so... is the port that I'm currently using fine (10240)?

>:D Find out for your self. In the original series, Mia was nothing more than a 'host'. Elk was mournful after she was gone. In G.U. 'Endrance' is Elk. Mia... find out for yourself.

I HAVEN'T FINISHED QUARANTINE YOU BASTARD!!! ;_;

XD

Yeah that port is fine, as a general rule of thumb I go above 10000, normal stuff is in the 100's, getting e-mail is 110 or something, sending e-mail is 25, I think FTP is 21, browsing the web is 80, etc.

Archived