How Long Should I Upload?

Dr_Talk

I've just completed seeding a 4+ GB upload using µTorrent. It took several hours, but the "ETA" finally counted down to 0. Does this mean I can stop uploading it now and delete the file from my system? Sorry for the newbie question folks;)

It's up to you either way, you could've stopped the torrent immediately after it finished downloading and it's not like us HERE could stop you.

However some torrent trackers will lock you out if you don't upload at least 1:1 ratio.

Beyond that, you're just helping others out...which is a MUCH needed service to keep torrents going at all!

If not enough people share, the whole system fails. :(

Thank you for your reply Switeck. I'm sorry, I should have been clearer as to what I meant: I did not download the torrent, I created it myself and uploaded it. I've only done this once before so I'm new to the uploading part. I decided it was time to start sharing and giving back to all the great people who share their material. The torrent I created was from a DVD I made. I uploaded the .VOB type files so that the end user wouldn't have to transcode anything before burning it. Therefore, it includes a custom made menu and chapter marks. That's the reason it's slightly over 4GB.

Using utorrent, I uploaded and seeded until the ETA had indicated it was uploaded. Now, I don't know if that means I can at that point disconnect or do I have to wait until at least one other person has the entire torrent. There were 23 others who were getting off of me (I assume) but I don't know if anyone succeeded in getting it all. To check, I thought if I disconnect & check the site I uploaded to, it should tell me if there are any seeds. It indicated 1, but after a page refresh it indicated 0. So now I'm thinking I need to leave my computer online again for another 11 hours? WHEW!

If any of this makes sense, please let me know and advise. :)

You can also try initial seeding. It may not upload quite as fast that way, but every piece it uploads tends to be a piece that NO visible (connected to you) peers have.

That way, you can spend some/most of your upload on other things as well. :)

Btw, what settings are you using in uTorrent and what's the sustainable upload speed max in uTorrent for your connection?

Archived