Slow Downloads Pls Help

s_pal

Hi, I have spent a lot of time reading on the forums trying to increase my speeds and following suggestions but so far I'm unable to get my speed up past 10-30 kB/s. Please, after five hours of reading and searching, my brain hurts. I am a newbie and the learning curve is steep but I am trying. Here are some stats for anyone who can help :

My Download speed: 2243kbps (280KB/sec)

My upload speed: 282kbps (35 KB/sec)

In the status bar it says: UPnP (port#) OK

(If I disable UpnP in the Preferences, I get "Network OK" but no better performance.)

I have left everything at the default settings -- have tried to max out my upload and download as I've read in some suggestions but my speeds got lower.

The only thing I have done which has seemed to help -- before it was 3kB/s! -- was to use the EvlD4226patch to get my half open connections to 50. This got me out of "NAT error" and into "UPnP (port#) OK" in the status bar. And I changed in the advance preferences to:

netmax_halfopen: 40

So I increased my speed from 3kB/s to 10-30 kB/s. But like the song says, is that all there is?

When I downloaded the openoffice my speeds were 240-300kB/s.

If there are any suggestions please let me know. And Happy New Year! Thanks.

What's your upload side doing.

All this 'speed' you're talking about is probably DOWNLOAD speed.

But BitTorrent is based on give-and-take tit-for-tat.

So how fast is your total upload speed in µTorrent and how fast is each upload slot?

(An upload slot is 1 upload to 1 person.)

My upload speed is about 60kB/s in torrent. How do I figure out each upload slot?

It can be approximated by calculation or it can be observed in µTorrent.

It is approximately:

TOTAL upload speed / [ ( number of upload slots per torrent +1 ) * ( number of active torrents) ]

The result is KB/sec per upload slot.

Or you can just click on a torrent and then check peers.

Archived