Speed issue...Using Comcast w/ Netgear WGR614 Router...

Alexvb22

I am using as stated above... For some reason I can't get a DL speed above 3 kb/s. When I do a Download test the test show 8MB download speed... and while downloading using utorrent I have lighting fast internet connection... Weird... any Ideas on whats wrong or how I can fix it?

I switched to port 80... but I dont even know if that help at all...

Using a verizon UM150 wireless anywhere device I get a solid 50-100kb/s.. But they max you at 5 gig of data transfer.. stinks...

Using comcast at other house I'm getting speeds at 386 - 780's kb/s

Thanks for the help.,

Alex

"When I do a Download test the test show 8MB download speed"

That with the latest cable line running at 50 megabits/second down?

Please (re?)try the 1st and 2nd links in my signature. The information they ask for is crucial for us to have more clues to solving your problem/s.

Very helpful info in your sig.. thks

I read somewhere to increase my upload speed. I just went into perferences and changed it to unlimited upload speed and randomized my port selection.. Seems to have fixed the problem...

I'm Downloading at 780 kn/s-1Mb/s...

Are there ways to maximize this speed even faster? If the tests are sayinf 8Mb/s shoud I be able to achieve this speed? Port forwarding...? sry I'm pretty new to all this. But I love it!

Thks Again,

Alex

You should not use unlimited upload speed unless your upload speed is in fact capable of virtually unlimited speeds.

bits not bytes...there's a difference.

Your connection is rated for 8 megabits/second download only max. That's almost 1 MegaBYTE/second download speed...assuming no packet/protocol overheads.

But your upload speed max is nowhere near 8 megabits/second...it might be less than 1 megabit/second! Try the 1 megabit/second upload speed max settings shown in the 2nd link in my signature.

Ok, so I went through and tried to reconfigure utorrent.

I forwarded my ports correctly according to the guide using a static IP and I took a look at Switeck's link # 2 in his sig.

I followed the info. as best I could and heres what I had come up with.

- I changed my Upload limit to 92

- I changed my Connections per Torrent to 1

- I changed my Upload slots to a max of 6

- I changed my total global connections to 40

- I changed my max active downloads to 8 and max active torrents to 9

Does this look about right? I am still getting a slow download speen though. It's back to 30 kb/s... Don't get this. I just feel like I'm missing something here. It should be running much faster.. And I still have Lighting fast internet browsing so I know somethings gotta be not set right...

Thks again,

Alex

Max connections per torrent will do much better being higher than 1...or you'll never hit your global maximum or even your upload slot limit per torrent. So try max connections per torrent set to 10.

If there's something in your router to handle how long till timeout for inactive connections, try reducing that value to 120 seconds (of inactivity till disconnect).

Archived