Not minimizing to system tray

Biffo the Bear

I have WinXP SP2 and IE7. I use Windows firewall.

My 1.7.7 has started to exhibit the following behaviour.

It's configured to minimize to system tray, but when I minimize it, it completely disappears, although it's still running, and can be brought up again from my desktop shortcut. If I exit uTorrent, delete settings.dat and settings.dat.old, and then restart it, the problem disappears, and it behaves as configured. To be absolutely precise, even if I delete the dat files while uTorrent is running, and then re-start it, that still does the trick. However, on the next reboot of my computer, the problem re-appears.

I've done various malware scans, and found nothing amiss. I've looked at various guides, and searched the forum, and found things similar but not quite the same.

Let's face it, this isn't life or death, but it's annoying and inconvenient, if only for the inability to access the right-click functions from the system tray icon, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just reconfigured and re-booted. If uTorrent is not set to load on startup, there's no problem.

A big thank you for your help on this DreadWingKnight. I'd probably have noticed the link between the two functions if they had happened at the same time. However, uTorrent has only been playing up for a few days, but it's been launching at startup for many weeks.

Anyway, all's well that ends well, in a manner of speaking.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived