HELP I'm a complete novice and don't even know what Hijack means

Dancing Queen

I've been downloading the first episode of Smallville series 7 as I only missed 1 and 2 and have the rest on sky but so far it's taken me 3 days and then just 20 minutes ago, i get a flash of something on my screen and then an error message saying it's been used by another process. I see you've had a recent post saying the same message so went to my program files to see if i had roxio or Nero. I did have the former and have uninstalled it (hopefully don't need it for anything) but nothing's changed. it still won't download. I'm at 63% now and it's taken so long, I couldn't bear to start from the beginning again. I also did that port checker thing with ctrl and g and that was ok. If you give me techy stuff, you really need to be basic. I didn't even know what utorrent meant until I downloaded it and then thought i'd better read what it meant (I thought a peer was someone who could peer into my computer files or something!) Please help. Thanks in advance.

OK, so this is you being dead non-techy speak? what on earth does '1st link in my signature' mean? And yes, i did have a good read through the troubleshooting guide but that seems to be more when it's not working and mine was working perfectly for 64% until this happened so I know all the settings and things are correct.

Come on Switeck, help me out here......

1st link in my signature = http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

It has a VERY IMPORTANT section stating exactly what we need as troubleshooters if nothing works.

I cannot count the number of times people thought they had good settings in uTorrent or for their router...and they didn't. :(

If a torrent is only 64% done, what is its availability?

If you're not connected to any seeds and no other peer has more percentage than you...that torrent may not finish till a seed comes back.

Hi Switeck,

I have plenty of space and it won't let me connect to any seeds or peers because it has locked me out totally. I know why as I checked the FAQs and this is the one that fits what happened "It's also possible that Explorer is trying to read the media files (MP3, AVI and so on) in the folder to make thumbnails, show you information about them, or preview them. You can unregister the media indexer (Start -> Run -> regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll ), and/or unregister the image indexer (Start -> Run -> regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll ) as an alternative for either case, not view the folder, or turn off flush files."

Problem is, I don't know what to do. Is the info above something to prevent it happening or will that work for me if I do it now? As I'm so green on this stuff I'm worried to death about unregistering or deleting files that my computer relies on.

Archived