Why is utorrent connecting out when I have no torrents running???

isisism

I would really like to try this out, but I'm skeptical since it keeps trying to have an outgoing connection when I start it, before I even have any torrents going!

The two places it wants to connect, send UDP datagram to are:

nami.bittorrent.com [38.114.167.69], port 6881

OrgName: Performance Systems International Inc.

OrgID: PSI

Address: 1015 31st St NW

City: Washington

StateProv: DC

PostalCode: 20007

Comment: rwhois.cogentco.com

RegDate:

Updated: 2005-07-13

us.quality-hosting.co.uk [207.142.136.45], port 80

OrgName: AGIS

OrgID: AGIS

Address: 1015 31st St NW

City: Washington

StateProv: DC

PostalCode: 20007

Doesn't seem safe to me. Is there an explanation for this? It has never happened with any other client I've used and I've used about a half dozen others.

I have no idea. All I know is it's never happened before. I have no idea what the DHT system is. What list would that be?

DHT is a sort of backup tracker. To put it in simplest terms, it goes on the Internet and pokes around for other uTorrent users (in theory, it should also link with BitTorrent official client and BitComet clients because they are all on the same "Mainline DHT", but not the Azureus guys since they use their own system ... shame) and puts them on a list.

By having a list of those guys, you have a chance of keeping your download running when the official tracker dies (which happens a lot with me), because it can connect to those guys. Obviously, to make and maintain that list, it needs to have a little flow.

What other clients have you played with? Not to question you, but it is hard to believe you played with lots of clients and never bumped into DHT before. IIRC, BitComet, for one, also has a tiny bit flow, which is probably also for the DHT.

Archived