What is up with my speed?

newbit

Hey everyone I tried all the troubleshooting stickies before I am posting here but i was wondering whats going on... I read something about useable kb/s in utorrent and having it be less then your actual kb/s from a speed test...

So my speed test from www.speedtest.net is this 30000 kb/s down and 2500 kb/s up

when i use the openoffice torrent given by u guys i get a max of 3 mb/s down also when uploading i get a max of 250-300 kb/s up nothing close to what my speeds are given from any of the test sites... what is going on? I could use some help.. I followed all the setting suggested in the sticky but still no luck... any suggestions?

Splinted,

uTorrent v1.8 put in a new rule that download speed on individual torrents is limited to 12x upload speed IF upload speed is set less than 4 KiloBYTES/second on those torrents. If you've been severely crippling how much you're sharing to others, you get crippled almost as badly.

Also if your settings don't match your connection then both download and upload speeds can suffer -- possibly severely.

"no one should be downloading torrents and uploading slower then 4kB/s."

I disagree with that statement.

However, basically no one that NEEDS to upload slower than 4 KiloBYTES/second will be "hurt" by a download limit that is likely faster than their connection max. (shared 256/64, dial-up, etc...)

If I find a torrent that has <100% availability but might eventually complete, after I get greater than 1:1 share ratio on it -- I also decrease upload speed to 1, decrease upload slots to 1, and lower Priority to LOW. There is no point giving new peers a false sense of speed...on a torrent they can't complete. And in the meantime, I am uploading on other torrents at full speed. This means if/when a seed does show up, my top download speed on that torrent will be 12 KiloBYTES/second. But chances are I only need 1 or 2 pieces that are at most 4 MB in size. That will likely complete within an hour. So I am not worried such a limit would hurt me. In the few cases I've had unfinished torrents finally complete days later in the past, I have seeded them once I got 100% typically to well over 4:1.

well, here

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 2178 Kbps about 2.2 Mbps (tested with 3072 kB)

Download Speed is:: 266 kB/s

Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/08/21 - 11:55am

Bottom Line:: 38X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 3.85 sec

Tested from a 3072 kB file and took 11.554 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 16.83 % of your hosts

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 852 Kbps about 0.9 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 104 kB/s

Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/08/21 - 11:57am

Bottom Line:: 15X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 9.85 sec

Tested from a 1496 kB file and took 14.383 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 55 % of your hosts average (optonline.net)

Now i think if you would like, i can do remote desktop if that will make things simpler.

Sounds like 800 kilobits/second upload settings in the 2nd link in my signature...since your upload was measured as 852 kilobits/second.

Either the website you tested at was "slow" or you're not getting probably even close to your connection's rated download max.

I doubt you'd have a 0.8-1 megabits/second UPLOAD bandwidth if your download is only 2.2 megabits/second.

You could always try the 2 megabits/second upload settings and see if your upload speed ever reaches and sustains that limit.

But my guess is...you ISP probably has some monthly bandwidth limits, so you may want to go lower to avoid problems.

Even if unstated, many ISPs have "bandwidth hog" criteria that they can throttle or disconnect you for. :(

ISP throttling, bad networking software or hardware on your computer or network, or I haven't a clue...

And narrowing it down to which it is will require work I can't do.

Have you read your ISP's fair use agreement or monthly bandwidth limits?

Done any GOOGLE searches about whether your ISP cripplies/disrupts BitTorrent traffic?

Updated your networking drivers?

What networking software are you running?

All that's a bloody mess...and it could also be bad commercial software interfering somehow.

(HijackThis! and Process Explorer are best to find that.)

Archived