Doing FTP while torrenting

yagami_kira

I have Windows Vista

I have uTorrent 1.8

I have CuteFTP 8

The problem is when uTorrent is open and downloading torrents, I can't do FTP transfers (I tried other ftp clients too). The error is "The connection failed due to an error or timeout."

Take note that I can do other things like browsing and uTorrent is not using my full DSL speed anyway.

Are there other people here who have hard time to run an FTP client and utorrent at the same time?

Uh oh. After few minutes while torrent is open, I can't use FTP again (timeout error), even though torrent is eating only 20% of my DSL bandwidth.

Just like before I can only do FTP again if I restart the computer or disable and reenable the LAN connection.

I guess the max halfopen has nothing to do with it since my Vista Ultimate is set to 25 by default

What could be wrong?

Even if uTorrent's half open connection limit is set to 1-4, you can still get incoming connections that don't count against that limit if you're not firewalled. So on busy public torrents, connecting to lots of peers+seeds can happen very rapidly. Private torrents connect slower because peers+seeds can only get your ip from the tracker, not from each other.

I just noticed that if I do not use port forwarding on my router for uTorrent, I can do FTP transfers at the same time while uTorrent is downloading torrents.

In other words, if I use port forwarding on my router for torrents, FTP transfers will just time out.

Do you have any idea why this happen? I remember I have this exact same problem before in Windows XP even with the older version of uTorrents.

BTW, the reason why I use port forwarding is because sometimes, the Network icon in uTorrent does not turn green. But if I use port forwarding in my router, it's always green.

Archived