Are 30-35Kb/s good speeds?

These are the settings on my utorrent:

Upload Limit: 22

Connections (per-torrent): 70

Max Active torrents: 2

Upload Slots: 3

Connections (global) : 130

Max Active Downloads: 1

I followed the utorrent speed guide to make my speeds faster, given that I was having speeds like 2-3Kb/s. But with these settings my downloads are going like 30-35Kb/s with the upload speed always to the max (20-22Kb/s)

Now, I was downloading a torrent which gave me like 100Kb/s with these same settings. Now I'm all mixed up because the speeds I'm getting from different torrents are all the same..like 30-35Kb/s and I can't get too 100Kb/s again. I don't know if that's actually the speeds everybody gets.

Also, i configured my port (I'm using a router with wireless internet on my laptop) but the Icon is still red, even though when I test if the port is forwarded properly it says it's OK but the icon is still red...and yes..I do have a static IP.

Please help me and answer these questions.

Thanks you in advance.

You're downloading faster than you're uploading...which can't be true for everyone on those torrents.

wireless ISPs don't give you a real internet address...they have you connect through their wireless router...and you're PERMANENTLY FIREWALLED because of it. :(

Try the 2nd link in my signature for alternate settings for uTorrent. Reduced connections is good if you're on wireless.

Well you did say "wireless internet". :P

Even the short-ranged wireless back to your router may have bad interference. Microwave ovens, air ionizers, and big power transformers are the worst causes. But that would tend to be random slowdowns not constant.

Are there other (constant?) loads on the connection?

If port forwarding failed, is your computer's LAN ip on the same subnet as the router?

For instance, a router on 192.168.0.1 and a computer on 192.168.0.151 would be the same subnet...but a router on 192.168.0.1 and a computer on 192.168.1.2 would NOT be on the same subnet because the 3rd number changed from 0 to 1.

Is your computer outside the router's DHCP (dynamic) ip range?

Many routers don't allow port forwarding to DHCP ip ranges. I don't know whether this is by design or a bug. :(

Ok ok I got it all working. Thanks alot :D. Also sorry about the 'Wireless Internet' thing. One last question (please)...I'm downloading a torrent at 8Kb/s ( sloooow =[ ) but I seem to be uploading at my max upload (22Kb/s). If I set my Upload Limit to unlimited, will the download speeds rise? Anyway, I don't know if I'm answering my own question but There are like 5504 seeders (I'm connected to 4) and Oh My God 32000 peers but I'm only connected to 28!

Thanks alot =D

Try reducing upload speed to about 15...and then test with upload speed at 25-30 KB/sec.

You'll need to let uTorrent run with those settings for at least 10 minutes each to rule out other causes.

After that, you should be able to tell which gives faster download speed results.

Hi thought i should join in on this thread as I have the problem that dude did.

Basically Ive just upgraded my utorrent and now my top speed is like 30kb/s. It was before like 400kb/s, and as far as I know the port is forwarded correctly. Besides Ive got UPnP port forwarding on anyway as my router is cool with that, lol. Ive tried changing a few different settings but no luck, could anyone help!!!? Switeck I'm looking to u buddy!

If I do fix it I will post how I repaired it back on this thread.

Ok getting back to this thread. After having other problems with my PC the speed has now changed ive checked the troubleshooting guide before I wrote the previous question. I have now changed my upload allowance for others before I had it on a low setting and that has changed the speed of downloads. But still on the previous utorrent I had my upload speed set for others v.low and still it DL fast at full capacity. Why has this been altered? This concludes my problem with the 30 - 35 kb/s dl speed problem but still leaves really with the same question for a different speed.

Your ISP may have just started throttling/disrupting BitTorrent traffic recently...or their methods have changed to be more effective towards uTorrent.

Without knowing more about your ISP's speed and your uTorrent settings (CTRL+G window), I can't really say much more. Torrents are too variable to get consistent speeds from 1 day to the next.

Archived