Automatically enable the down/upload after time period.

SolidasRock

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again Kazuaki wrote a long story about his fears... Oh by the way, i have a max down speed of 105 KB/s and upload 30 kb/s capped on 90 KB/s and 26 KB/s. I am sure you have a big connection so this couldnt interest you, thats why you are against this, you could understand me and many other with small connections.

And i really dont see you have read and thinking about, you wrote immediality a answer to win this, this is your goal, even your fear isnt right...

You will never win this with these weaks arguments:"Hell yes, Utorrent was 80KB and now 140KB, hell now it looks it will grow to 150 KB!!"

Answer: I am suprised you are talking abouts some KB... I think you have a HDD of 600 MB max, am i right? Well i will donate you a HDD of 6 GB if you stop screaming about some KB....

"Hell, this timer, even it isnt enabled at this time, will bring down my computer speeds and my HDD will increase some GB, also it will use so much RAM i need to buy extra RAM"

Answer: I dont believe your PC will slow down at which way too, not with this.... Because the timer will not run if you dont use it, so it will not eat your resources even eat your RAM, only thing is Utorrent have 1 maybe 2 KB grow in size... IF you use the timer, i am sure you wont see grow usage of your RAM.

"Because i am afraid, you have to buy crossfeed. Also because i dont want Utorrent grow more than 1 KB. Hell, i stop with thinking about this nightmare...."

Answer: Get a life, really.....

Oh. I never knew I was already on the lucky side when it came to Azureus. But then, I simply don't have 200MB+ of real RAM to give it, no matter what.

See.... you dont notice whatever, even you see the searchbar (have you found it now?)

The last time i use Azureus, it use 100 MB and i step over at Utorrent, Utorrent use 2 MB with the SAME torrents and speeds!! Thats a big difference, it isnt? I have buyed extra 512 MB to keep my system fast while use Azureus (for games too), but it wont help, my pc was really slow after 24 hours seeding. Now Utorrent is almost 24/7 enabled, i dont notice any slowdown anymore. You get it?

(i am sure you will write immediality a answer, without thinking about this quote...)

Well i unsubscribe from this topic, enough "talking" with you. (no... repeating text isnt really talking)

Greetz SolidasRock

Boy, you really write long ...

Ideas like this on the other hand tend to cost little, but are worth even less. Worse, there are potentially countless of these ideas, because while a person's genuine Needs are rather Limited, their Wants are rather Unlimited.

You're wrong, there are far more people with slow conections than people with fast conection like you. This feature helps people with slow conections.

If the ring is set out far enough to accomodate your idea, countless other ideas will also meet the Utility/Cost criteria for implementation - if yours got implemented, why not theirs (I have a brief Dream List up there and that's just One Person's Wants at a Single Moment in Time). And each of them will be 1KB each.

This is not a "One Person's Wants at a Single Moment in Time". How can you don't understand this! Its a usefull feature that will help the mayority of the utorrent users, that mayority are people with slow conections.

So, why don't you just post your feature request and leave us alone. You don't need no bandwidth management because you have a fast conection, grow up and stop whinning about comercial products and wrong disk/ram comparision and utility/cost trash.

If you don't like this feature request just stop reading, period. You won't even notice it when it got into ut, like the search bar you never saw :)

Again Kazuaki wrote a long story about his fears... Oh by the way, i have a max down speed of 105 KB/s and upload 30 kb/s capped on 90 KB/s and 26 KB/s. I am sure you have a big connection so this couldnt interest you, thats why you are against this, you could understand me and many other with small connections.

This connection is not bad. However, it does mean you cannot reach the speeds required to appreciate my problem since Drag problems at 90K are basically nonexistent. By the time you notice it, we'd be back in Azureus up here.

You will never win this with these weaks arguments:"Hell yes, Utorrent was 80KB and now 140KB, hell now it looks it will grow to 150 KB!!"

Did you read my answer? What I am most concerned over is the associated increase in memory usage which seems to be increasing at a even faster rate than the raw executable increase.

Answer: I am suprised you are talking abouts some KB... I think you have a HDD of 600 MB max, am i right? Well i will donate you a HDD of 6 GB if you stop screaming about some KB....

Actually, I have about 30 gig, which is not much by modern standards but not a total disaster. Depending on my torrenting activity, my free disk space where I can cram torrents in ranges from about 1-8GB.

Tell you what. Maybe if you bribe me with 256MB of RAM so I can stick it into my laptop, I might stop fighting against your idea. :D

Answer: I dont believe your PC will slow down at which way too, not with this.... Because the timer will not run if you dont use it, so it will not eat your resources even eat your RAM, only thing is Utorrent have 1 maybe 2 KB grow in size... IF you use the timer, i am sure you wont see grow usage of your RAM.

The timer is part of the code. It will be loaded into the RAM along with everything when I double-click the icon. I don't use RSS either, but I pay in RAM for it nevertheless.

"Because i am afraid, you have to buy crossfeed. Also because i dont want Utorrent grow more than 1 KB. Hell, i stop with thinking about this nightmare...."

Answer: Get a life, really.....

No, you have to buy CfossSpeed because it is simply a MUCH better solution to your problem.

See.... you dont notice whatever, even you see the searchbar (have you found it now?)

I didn't really even bother looking for it. I don't need it after all.

The last time i use Azureus, it use 100 MB and i step over at Utorrent, Utorrent use 2 MB with the SAME torrents and speeds!! Thats a big difference, it isnt? I have buyed extra 512 MB to keep my system fast while use Azureus (for games too), but it wont help, my pc was really slow after 24 hours seeding. Now Utorrent is almost 24/7 enabled, i dont notice any slowdown anymore. You get it?

You don't have to explain the uTorrent Miracle to me. I have experienced it. So has everybody except for that one guy I once read on the BitComet forum.

You are on the lucky side with Azureus in terms of performance. Your copy takes up more RAM, but at least you claim to be able to use it for 24 hours. Me? I have to stop, restart the whole machine, and restart every 8 hours no matter what health the torrent is in.

What people that are limited to your speeds will never likely notice is that uT can drag. It was a pretty stunning revelation for me as well. It reminded me yet again that Ludde is efficient, not magic. What this means is that I am again reaffirmed in my quest for making uTorrent efficient. Part of being efficient means ... well, you know the rest.

Did you read my answer? What I am most concerned over is the associated increase in memory usage which seems to be increasing at a even faster rate than the raw executable increase.

Please stop worring about this, if you know about programing you will know that all core bittorrent protocol is finished, so, ut won't increase the RAM usage.

Also, you could write 10 or 20 features like this and the runtime RAM usage won't even pass the 256kb !!!

Have your ever read SolidasRock? Please stop wasting our time by whinning about the RAM usage increase in ut! Its only 4MB, thats insignificant!!! Do you really want to cry for 4MB or RAM and 0.5% of CPU usage?

Come on, it not worth the time you spend worring about these issues.

Oliver, at least you were going in the right direction in the last post by trying to show me utility rather than trying to pretend the cost does not exist.

If a feature is genuinely useful, then cost is not important. If uTorrent doubled its memory usage to accomodate say PEx alone, that's still fine, because that's useful and irreplaceable. If a feature is of extremely marginal utility, then even the smallest cost becomes very important.

So, what's the utility? You say it helps people with sucky upload connections.

1) I've read SolidasRock, which is why I know his connection actually doesn't suck. He simply doesn't need to pause - just crimp to 6K. He'd get 80% of his pipe free. I find it difficult to understand why that isn't enough, especially considering his max download is only 105K (and he crimps his uT to 90). He simply have that many ACK packets to send. Even you will have half your pipe free, which should be at least a tolerable situation.

2) The functionality is already available - it is called "Turn Off" in the Scheduler, represented by White Little Squares. If you want real precision, you'd have to handle the Pause/Resume manually anyway. The controls are easily accessible.

3) If you want automation, get real automation.

Thus, overall, my assessment of the utility is that it is very close to zero and thus is worth nearly zero cost. My opinion is apparently echoed so far by Bram Cohen, Ludde, the maker(s) of BitComet and the makers of Azureus, none of which AFAIK has deaned to put in such a feature on their clients... you will notice that in contrast, at this time all of them but Cohen agree that RSS support, DHT, PEx and Protocol Encryption are important things to implement.

While we are talking about personal difficulties:

4MB looks insignificant until you realize you aren't stacking it up against the 192MB on my computer, of which about 100MB is left after all the basic crap are up.

You are stacking against my D1 and D2*. After observation, D1 on my computer is maybe 10MB and D2 is maybe 20. All of a sudden, 4MB doesn't look so small.

*Detectable Drag RAM Usage (D1) and Unacceptable Drag RAM Usage (D2)

As for CPU usage, it is nearly a useless measure - Azureus on my computer claims close to 0 CPU usage. I think we can all at least agree on Azureus Reality. Nor does D1 and D2 go up in proportion to adding RAM (Azureus should teach you that much), and if I can add RAM you guys can install CfossSpeed :D

Thus, overall, my assessment of the utility is that it is very close to zero and thus is worth nearly zero cost.

Hi Kazuaki Shimazaki, I respect your opinion.

You have make very clear your point of view and I respect that. There is no more

need for you to write another post telling me why you think this feature is not worth.

I understand and respect all your points and all your opinions and all your solutions and all your comments.

Now, I ask you to please respect me and all points of view.

My point of view is that I really need this feature. Respect that.

Please don't try to make me think that I don't need this feature. I need it,

you can change that, you can't. Respect that.

Now, let the people that are interested in this feature to speak. And please don't answer again to new users in this topic, since you have clearly explained all your points of view.

Let us, the ones that wants this feature, speak about it. We need this feature. You don't need this feature and have already speak about it, so, why keep posting?

SolidasRock and the rest, lets talk about the GUI for this feature. I have

some ideas to share, please post yours. Thanks!

Many thanks, good night, good fight!

Oliver

1) I've read SolidasRock, which is why I know his connection actually doesn't suck. He simply doesn't need to pause - just crimp to 6K. He'd get 80% of his pipe free. I find it difficult to understand why that isn't enough, especially considering his max download is only 105K (and he crimps his uT to 90).

LOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!! 6 kb/s. A file of 4 GB uploading with 6 KB/s, how much months is that?

I now am sure, that you are nuts :D

@Oliversl, you better start a new fresh topic or place a new request in the votesystem, this topic is fucked up. No one will or want to read this.

I see you on the other side,

Greetz Solid

Ok, i get it. :)

But erm... i have write this in a earlier post:

Oliver, i now see your topic for the first time, funny we have the same idea

I want to see your topic in the votesystem but i cant find it, what is the exact topictitle of it?

hehe, yea, its funny to have the same idea.

I posted this topic in the voting system, I can confirm it was submited because it appears on the RSS.

But, it still has to be aproved in the vote system.

Maybe we can come up with a new name for this feature, merging this post topic with mine. But is not important, is just to have a short name to call this feature.

Hope it gets into ut 1.4.2

Cheers

Oliver

SolidasRock: he meant to use 6 kb/s instead of pausing

The idea is to pause all torrents for xx minutes. Call it this way, set the download/upload speed to 6kb/s for xx minutes.

This is not a solution because we want that ut resume all torrents after xx minutes automatically with no user intervencion. So you can program a timer to when ut should go back to work and forget about it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived