Having Speed Issues

lWeil

Hi i have only started using utorrent recently so i don't much thing about utorrent well. The thing is i've been getting low download speed.Normally i have pretty low speeds like 5kB/s - 30kB/s and very rarely i get high speed like 100kB/s. I've read some of the speed guides and have already tweak my utorrent but it doesn't really help much.

i went to speedtest.net and my results were roughly at about 12000kb/s download speed and 350kb/s upload speed. I've already forwarded a port and use the speed guide and set the settings to xx/384k.

The only thing i can think of is that my router is Linksys WRT54G v2 and i'm unsure whether it is the cause of this problem. I have a friend who tried downloading the same file as me and i could only hit 9kb/s while he could reach 100kb/s downloading speed. His speedtests results were roughly at 11000kb/s for download speed and 420kb/s for upload.

Hope that you guys can help me clarify these problems and thanks for your help.

The usual problem for WRT54G's is the router crashing, so the router might not be the problem, yet :P

Are you port forwarded? What ISP are you on? Can you re-check your speedtest.net figures (if it's 1200 Kbits/s instead then 1200 Kbits/s ÷ 8 = 150 KBytes/s)? Try the Speed Guide setting one lower, and use an OpenOffice torrent to test your speed: http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p

And if that fails: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

thanks for your replies.

My isp is maxonline and i've rechecked my speed at speedtest.net and yeah its still 12000kb/s and with 350kb/sec. I tried download the openoffice and my speed peaked at 45kb/sec. i have already portforwarded.

hmm so its the ISP that is causing this speed? oh yeah and my friend uses singnet.

so other then enabling protocal encryption there's nothing else i can do?

oh yeah and my friend who uses singnet can easily reach speeds like 100mb/s and higher which is causing me to think that my speeds are lousy.

EDIT: just came back from my friend's house. I brought my laptop over and leeched his internet. Apparently singnet don't seem to throttles with bittorrent i could easily reach speeds like 400kb/s. At least this proved that the problem isn't with my computer.

Archived