no incoming connections

mikkopresents

i have downloaded tons on utorrent with no problems

since switching up to 1.8 i am getting the red light (now its a yellow triangle) telling me "no incoming connections"

running the port forwarding test tells me Error! Port 21388 does not appear to be open.

going to the recommended site and following the tutorial on mapping my port in my router (netgear cg814w)

once ive done that i still have the red light and fail the port forwarding test

resetting the router, removing the rule

i go to the connections settings

and disable 'firewall exception' (seems unnecessary) enable NAT-pmp mapping, and randomize port each startup

now i get a dribbly download (6-7 kbs) as opposed to the 25 - 30 sometimes 50 before

i have also throttled my upload to 10 kbs as my ratio is around 140%

i am ready to restart the whole mess including re-installing utorrent

basics -

i dont have a firewall enabled on my computer (windows xp)

my upload speed test gives me 200, so i set my utorrent to 192

ive read the other posts but they dont apply to me or im not understanding them

thanks for any help

Did you remove and re-add the rule in any security software you have that you made for the old uTorrent? Are you seeing http://utorrent.com/faq.php#What_does_Download_Limited_in_the_status_bar_mean.3F in the status bar or the General tab?

Do you see > 1 utorrent.exe in your Task Manager process list?

Is your LAN IP outside the netgear's DHCP range?

Did you remove and re-add the rule in any security software you have that you made for the old uTorrent?

Didn't have any

Are you seeing http://utorrent.com/faq.php#What_does_D … ar_mean.3F in the status bar or the General tab?

No, no messages

Do you see > 1 utorrent.exe in your Task Manager process list?

I do if I have it on the screen - if I minimize it, it disappears from task mangager

Is your LAN IP outside the netgear's DHCP range?

Will have to check -

now as I write this with my settings as described above (or your magical influence) has opened a flood gate -

my download is around 90 (!) and my up around 13 (i kept it at 10 once my ratio was 140)

now my ratio is dropping like a rock and im filling up fast

odd, exciting, but odd

however i still have the red light with the exclamation point at the bottom telling me im not connectable (how does it know my love life?)

When you minimize uTorrent to the tray it closes?!?!? Are you sure you have close to tray enabled in preferences?

90:15 is 6x, what's your MAX sustained upload with no download going on? 192 Kbit is theoretical max of 24 ... and pushing the limit IMO of what/when you should evaluate turning off "common" features except in dire circumstances (read as: small swarms).

When you minimize uTorrent to the tray it closes?!?!? Are you sure you have close to tray enabled in preferences

sorry, i misspoke, its fine in the tray

90:15 is 6x, what's your MAX sustained upload with no download going on? 192 Kbit is theoretical max of 24 ... and pushing the limit IMO of what/when you should evaluate turning off "common" features except in dire circumstances (read as: small swarms).

how do i find my max sus upload?

i did set the limit because my ratio was 1.800 or something and i wanted to see if it increased the download speed, and allow me faster access with my other internet apps

It's possible with a very full uTorrent that you experience intermittent outages due to the way uT detects halfopen counts... this is fixed in the 1.8.1 betas out right now. However you shouldn't have much impact at all on your browsing while torrenting with correct settings, hence the great news you want to find out.

Sustained upload is different from "max" because well it's consistent. If you use the scheduler you know you can set alternate rates and the one I use most often (daytime hours) is seed-only. For seed-only since you're not expeciting any/much download (aside from RSS updates at your specified interval) you can usually increase your upload by 10% or more. Now, how do you find out ... I make liberal usage of the Speed tab, switch to upload only, and switch between 1 and 5 second intervals. What you're looking for is the highest value which you still are at the speed limit you set (aka horizontal line). For your connection, you could start @ 25... you likely won't ever hit the line... run for 2-5 minutes then lower it to 23 (change of 2 KiBps since that's ~ 10% of your upload). Repeat the process of running it for at least 2 minutes before changing so 1) it fills the 1 sec interval graph and 2) you can compare it to previous runs in the 5 sec graph (holds up to 10 mins of data). Remember to do this with no other heavy traffic usage.

I however have no idea on the red blocked port problem. But if it's intermittent yellow/red then it sounds like something about your netgear/modem is resetting the port state.

switeck - thanks i will study your amazing work and try to learn something

fire - i appreciate the updates

here is whats happening -- my downloaded finished all blazes - sometimes up to 115 kbs!

maybe its that endgame thing

to get my ratio back up i left my torrent on

but heres the thing that explains my dropping ratio

i have no one connected

my red light is still on

and when i run my tests it says that my port forwarding is not working

ive already tried to manually map the port but nothing seemed to happen

so now my torrent sits with nobody connecting and my ratio down to 31%

and the red light on

i am not a leecher! grr

anyway thanks for any help

Archived