Incompatibility Pop-Up with utorrent 1.4

moriaty777

First of all, a fantastic program... many thanks!

Before I go into my issue, let me start off by saying that I'm one of those poor individuals that has wrestled with Nvidia's Firewall. I am completely aware of the problems it has and, despite these issues, I have managed to peacefully co-exist with the firewall on my system. The worse would be the occasional hogging of my virtual memory settings based on the length of time I have a p2p program running...

For the meantime, I choose to deal with it's shortcomings till I find a better solution to my firewall problem.

All that being said: is there any way to 'disable' the pop up saying how flawed the Nvidia Firewall is and the potential (read as certain) incompatibility problems that may (read as will eventually) arise?

Or as a feature in the next revision... having this pop up once and not everytime you start the program up?

Keep up the great work... this is a model example on how a program should be consistantly worked on and improved... unlike the folks at Nvidia who still haven't even tried to correct their bugs...

Thanks again,

Moriarty777

Uninstall Nvidia's Firewall and get a better one, such as KPF or the Zone Alarm. Look 'n Stop firewall is reportedly good too. And the reason that the popup can't be disabled is because the problem is so serious for most users. It's gone as far as the firewall using all the system memory and causing a lock/crash.

Trust me... down the line that is what I intend to do. However, I have recently undergone this very same exercise with a friend of mind (who has pretty much the same setup) and the uninstallation created two issues... The main one being an inability to connect to the internet afterwards. It looked like that the uninstallation did not completely remove everything. The only solution was to do a complete wipe and start over. I know some people have been able to simply remove the offending program without a hitch but I don't want to take the chance now. Too much work... too little spare time.

Aside from that, I think Kerio is absolutely fantastic and that is where I'll probably be going when I do get to that point. However let me re-iterate that for the past 5 months, I have been managing very well with Nvidia Firewall using P2P software (the past 3 of which with uTorrent). The memory leak has not bothered me much. I know the seriousness of the issue but I would've preferred not to be reminded every single time I started the program (once would have sufficed).

However, I do appreciate you quickly answering my post. Thanks again.

Moriarty777

I understand totally what you're saying, and at least you're presenting it in a balanced manner, but I think for the large majority of users the firewall is crappy and needs to be ditched. The popup is a good reminder IMO. I think it's worth taking the risk of disabling the firewall - just make sure that you have the nvidia disk handy to reinstall it if any problems occur. Reinstalling then re-uninstalling should fix any problems.. if not, try a Windows repair install (a lot of people have no faith in them whatsoever, but they have saved my ass on at least three occasions).

Archived