Is it worth while?

Jomapil

I downloaded a file with 8 GB and it was finished. As the ratio upload/download was very low I kept it up seeding. But I concluded that the file is wrong. Must I stop the seeding without to attain the ratio 0.5 ( at this moment that ratio is 0.243 )?

Thank you.

You don't ever NEED to seed. Bittorrent is about sharing and it's very polite and in the swarm's best interest to share as long as you can. If the file is not what you wanted, .243 ratio means you've shared UP ~ 25% of what you've downloaded. This low % isn't that big a deal on a large swarm, but f it's not very popular, think about it this way.. how long did it take you to download that 2 DVD sized content? At minimum I'd say it should seed AFTER completion as long as it took you to download, from the basic premise that most connections are asymmetric and it's not possible to get your 1.0 ratio by the time it's completed downloading.

But if we can't mention names how can we inform that a file is fake or has errors that don't allow its use?

It must be possible when there are several informations about the usenessless of a file people be advised when they try to download that file.

Cheers.

Possibility and practicality are two different things. Of course it's possible to do, but it's not practical because of the ease with which users can spam such a network with false/useless information (especially the MAFIAA).

Tribler's BuddyCast system supposedly uses moderators, but given the sheer amount of torrents being shared, I think moderation of the information channel would be massively burdensome (again, impractical).

Archived