Tips for setting up in a hotel?

KaHOnas

I'm going to be away from home (where I've seen up to ~400kb/s download speeds) for a while. My organization is setting me up in a hotel with a wireless hook-up, but I don't know the nature of it. I would suspect it's not a sooperdooper one.

Is there anything in particular I should know about before I hook up uTorrent there? A month is a long time, and I don't think I can last that long!

AtDhVaAnNkCsE;

Me, that guy, you know?

Do a speed test...uTorrent needs to know upload limits so it doesn't completely overload the connection.

2nd link in my signature for settings based on max upload.

You'll probably be permanently firewalled in uTorrent while you're there.

Is Teredo installed so you can get IPv6 connections?

I feel like an idiot for asking, but what is Teredo? (I guess that answers your question). I still have much to learn about torrent-ing. I'll go check out that Teredo thing.

Regarding the point about connection speed, thanks. That should help me here.

edit: well, I guess I was still using the much higher setting that I was using at my house. I had a much faster connection (6Mb/s down and I think 512kb/s up) there, so some tweaking was needed, as I've got a 512 down and 128 up here. I really appreciate the tips.

edit 2: Just read up on teredo tunneling. That will also help out.

The FAQs can answer that better than I can...

"512 down and 128 up"...you'll need to run rather conservative settings. My chart's 128 kilobits/sec upload settings assumes ~1.5 mbit download speeds. Even 20 per-torrent connections is probably enough, even overkill, on well-seeded torrents. Make web surfing a little less painful too. :)

I went through my config and hooked it up a bit better. I guess in my haste I forgot that crappy connections require crappy configurations. Well, in the proverbial nutshell, it seems to be working much better than before (albeit slow, though slow is better than bottlenecked and clogged).

Archived