Connection status issue

spoonbender

Hi,

I`m using the current beta of utorrent. I`m running an intel imac current model and have cable internet and then my airport extreme basestation. I`m connected to it via ethernet cable. Sometimes my status light goes from green to yellow, and stays yellow for hours on end. What I find helps is to stop the torrent and quit and restart utorrent, or sometimes randomizing the port also helps. I also enabled pnp-nat in my basestation and allowed incoming connections in my firewall as well as little snitch. So I guess I`m really not sure why I go from green to yellow. Right now I`m downloading a rather large file and I have 17 of 39 seeds coming in. Its kind of one of those things, when its working its great, when it slows to a crawl the years of download time pile up. One nice thing is, it doesnt affect anyone else in the house for their internet usage. I know this probably doesnt help much. Ive tried setting up a static ip address and doing proper port forwarding via the basestation setup. It really just didnt work. So I guess Im doing something wrong here. Any help and or advice is always appreciated.

Thanks.

S.

Hi TG,

Thats one thing I`ve been trying to figure out how to do. I`ve found several tutorials on the internet on exactly how to do this. My problem is it simply is not working for me. I`m quite sure I`m doing something wrong. Naturally I have no idea what. So, no I haven`t. If you can give me a step by step explanation, I`m more than happy to try. This way we can trouble shoot and help everyone else thats having the same problem.

Thanks.

S.

TG, I don't understand why you would need to set up port forwarding on the modem. Maybe things are different in the US, but in the UK the modem is (AFAICT) simply a device that translates the signals in the coaxial cable to signals routers and other network devices understand. Also, your theory doesn't hold, since the status light is green to begin with, but later on turns yellow, suggesting that the forwarding works for at least a little while.

I have the exact same issue and I've found that once the binding for the port has expired, µtorrent won't re-establish the binding. I guess this is something for the devs to look into.

Ah sorry Cable modems are diff to ADSL2+ ones, Um your modem will pass all trafic through it so you need to set up a static IP to the airport, you can either set DHCP to reserve 1 for your computer or completely disable DHCP on your airport.

This will alow the port fowarding rules to only apply to 1 computer.

Make sure you have allowed utorrent in the MAC OS X Firewall and in the Airport Firewall as well.

Hopw this helps

Tim

Archived