upload affected by download speed limits?

mrQQ

hello,

i'm having trouble with uTorrent. I have 1mbit up/down line. Say I'm downloading a torrent at 100kb/s, and uploading it at 50kb/s. Whenever I limit my download speed to improve my ration - to say 20kb/s - upload speed drops down to 10ish aswell! So I just cant get it above my download speed no matter what I try.. :(

Keep in mind upload is based on demand - Maybe there just aren't that many peers who are interested in getting pieces from you on a certain torrent.

The other issue i can think of is that your connection is asynchrounous - which means that download and upload are effecting each other.

BitTorrent includes some tit-for-tat behavior so that clients who upload more are favored for downloads. Uploading to peers selectively based on how much they upload to you optimizes your total download speed. This also makes the swarm more efficient. Absent other problems, the more bandwidth you allocate for upload, the better your download speed will be. That assumes some peers have higher upload bandwidth than others. If all other clients have intentionally limited their upload bandwidth, or are participating in many torrents so that their upload bandwidth per torrent is low, increasing your upload bandwidth may not further improve your download speed.

The way TCP works, for every few packets sent, you need to send a reply 'ack.' If your bandwidth is choked to death either way, the acks will need to wait in a queue before being sent, and the peer on the other end will either slow down the data or stop sending. For the most efficient handling of your bandwidth, go to a bandwidth measurement site to figure out how much bandwidth you have available to you when you have no other programs running. Take those numbers (usually in kilobits per second), divide them by eight, and take 80% of your upload speed as your maximum upload speed, and 90-95% of your download speed, depending on if your connection is synchronous or asynchronous. If you don't know what that last part means, then you don't need to worry about it. Of course, you won't have the most efficient usage of your bandwidth unless you keep playing with the numbers until you get the best speed both ways.

EDIT: I just realized my post was completely irrelevant, but it might still help others.

Yeah, it's doesnt really help.. i want to limit my download speed to get a better ratio. And I *do not* limit it so much so that acks get throttled (which, btw, shouldnt happen in any case, acks shouldnt respect download limits *imho*), and upload speed still drops :(

Archived