Problems with speed

kingbudman

I recently started using utorrent and started with v1.4

I was getting 10KB/s to 30KB/s mostly close to 20KB/s before I did port forwarding

Now I get the Network OK message and I dont get much better Download speeds maxing at like 50KB/s, I am on a 1.5MB DSL connection and when I do the speed tests it says I get like 1024kbps DL speed and 128kbps upload speed. Now based on the kbps/10 rule I should be getting like 100KB/s download speed if everything is configured properly

I set my speed to xx/192k which sets my max DL speed set to 0(unlimited) and my upload speed set to 17KB/s, Upload slots 3, connections (per torrent) 55, connections (global) 90.

What else do I need to do to get my speeds higher, what they should be at? or is that all I can do to get the highest speeds?

I have read guides and i'm new to this whole thing so I get real confused when reading them

Should I just goto v1.3 like everyone says? will that allow me faster speeds?

thanks in advance

Kingbudman :)

You should use 128k for your connection, 192 is killing the upload.

Why would I want a lower upload speed? will that give me a higher download speed?

I thought the higher your shareratio the higher the DL speed will be( which is currently 5.999 or something like that), if I set it to 9 instead of 17 I will DL faster than the UL by far, which I though will give me a even slower DL speed

Kingbudman

... I am on a 1.5MB DSL connection and when I do the speed tests it says I get like 1024kbps DL speed and 128kbps upload speed.

From that I can conclude that the way you set your upload it's totally choking your bandwidth, and that's bad for everyone. :| You need to set the Speed Guide feature at exactly the same upload speed (or possibly a little lower). That's why I suggested 128, 'cause 192 is way too high for your connection.:/

You cannot upload faster than your connection's max.

Trying cripples your download and causes all sorts of packet loss.

Sucks having to pay twice to get packets out!

If your connection max upload is 128 kilobits/sec...your max useful upload speed is only around 13 KB/sec and may be as low as 9 KB/sec. You'll likely experience 'net lag' (slow loading web pages) past 10 KB/sec, though when you're not on the computer that won't matter. You could use Scheduler to have µTorrent run at higher speeds for hours when you're typically away or lower/raise it manually if you see fit.

It might also be a good idea to reduce download max to only about 60-80 KB/sec instead of 100 KB/sec for the same reason you can't use upload set to 14+ KB/sec without problems. Downloading will go smoother and uploads can run faster during the same period. End result, you can seed files faster and will only be increasing actual download times by a few minutes.

Archived