Loading from Opera

RPGGamer

The Opera web browser has a feature that passes the download link to the program itself so it can download it and do what its supposed to do with that download. The only problem is that uTorrent doesnt seem to support this even though it has this feature for manual url entering. How do I make this automatic url redirecting work on uTorrent?

I've managed to solve the problem by unchecking the "pass web address directly to application" box. Apparently Opera does not download the file to harddisk when you tell it to open the download with another program. I would have done this before but I did not want the torrent files in more then 1 folder as I thought Opera would do.

Norlin: I have that set too but it doesn't seem to work when you need cookies and get the .torrent from a script (ie. get.php?id=955).

RPGGamer: I'm not sure you understood what that option does. It passes the URL for the torrent (ie. http://www.somewebserver.com/torrent.torrent) to µTorrent - it doesn't download the actual .torrent file itself. You'd need to use that URL via File -> Add Torrent from URL to get the torrent to start. (I'm not sure how to do it on the command line, but I think there's a way.)

Yeah I noticed that too now, hadn't tested it on as many sites as I should have :/

Well any way. I guess the problem is that if you just pass the URL to µTorrent, it doesn't work because it would need the site cookie's pass hash and uid. (Like in RSS)

Can't really see a good way of implementing this in µT, I think the problem is Opera's. It should save the torrents like we tell it to, even if it's generated from a script.

This may solve your problems:

1) in Opera > Tools > Perferences > Advanced > Downloads > application/x-bittorent > Edit

mark "Save directly to disk", "Do not ask for folder", and put a folder there > OK

2) in uTorent > Options > Perferences > Other options > mark "Automaticaly... ", put same folder as in 1), and mark "Delete..."

You can gues what will happen when you click on a torrent link in Opera can't you???

If uTorrent is not starterd when the link is dl, it will auto start it the next time uTorrent is started. "Delete..." should be on, or uTorrent will load the torrents multiple times.

I hope this helps :)

P.S. I've noticed some instability in rear cases resulting in crashing uTorrent. My guess is that it starts to read the torrnet in the folder before Opera has written the whole of it there... Actually it's not crashing brutally, it just can't open the add torrent dialog, but the current dls don't stop. Just stopping uTorrent from the taskbar icon and starting it again solves that.

I haven't yet tried what I can do with the other options in Opera, so I may think of sth better.

Archived