Download too fast?

Noname

Hi, in the past it used to be that I had 47 kB/s as max. At least I thought so until recently when using utorrent 1.4 (non-beta) I got 50-70 kB/s download speed; this with 20 kB/s upload simultaneously and I'm still able to browse the web.

I've used other p2p programs mostly Emule Morph and most of the non-beta previous versions of ut and I've never gotten such a high number of dl speed even when I downloaded the openoffice torrent.

Then again it could be that the torrent I'm dling have 2083 seeds and I've never dled a torrent with that high number of seeds.

Is this just wrong info on ut's part?

Edit: I dled the openoffice torrent in a previous version of ut.

he gets 70 kps with 256k adsl??? strange i have the same connection but i never go up

more than 30k ... even on download manegers sutch as getright i never go more than

30k download speed..haw come he gets 70k speed on 256k i mean what is the avrege speed

i should be getting...i dont know coz i am new to adsl con..and am using the usb port not a lan card..is that the reson? they told me it could be slower...

olso i noticed on some trackers that i can get to download 2 files at the same time faster than one file... thats because the first file dosnt use all my connection speed so the other file can use the rest of the speed like 15kps eatch... but if i stopped the secound file from downloading that dosent make the first file go any faster...unless the tracker it self started to get faster...

A 256 kbps connection is (theoretically) limited to 32 kB/s, so downloading in 70 kB/s means that the connections is something else than 256 kbps, or perhaps it's the upload that's limited to that.

As for the download limiter in µTorrent: Setting it to 100 kB/s makes the downloads crawl around in 100 kB/s (± 1 kB/s)

Just to clarify: My avg dl speed is 30-40 something kB/s

That's why I'm wondering how it can jump to 70 kB/s while still allowing me to browse the web easily...

Awhile ago with 1995 seeds, the dl reduce back to 42 kB/s

Now with 1817 seeds, it's jumped backed to 50-60 kB/s

Two possibilities:

1) A problem with uT's speed indicators ... might explain how the heck I am recently getting a rash of 400KB/s downloads ... possible but I'm not that lucky. I suggest you go to the speed test sites and giving your connection a speed test. Try it a few times. Or go to DLsite.com, go to its English session and try downloading one of its demos - the stuff it sells tend to be R-rated, but it is the only site with a very high quality FTP connection that immediately comes to mind - I get hundreds of KB/s DL from it, so if your download pipe can handle 70KB/s, you will get that. If someone has a clean site that he is pretty sure would have a fat FTP pipe, recommend it so he can try it as well.

2) Misread of your spec. Most likely possibility. A common bandwidth for 256 kilobit/sec up is about 1.5 Megabit-3 MegaBit down.

3) ISP screwup: don't bother telling them

Well the reason I'm posting this is prior to Ut 1.4, I've never dled at such a speed including previous versions of ut and other p2p programs so I thought it might be a glitch in the way Ut is detecting the speed.

Personally I'm not complaining just wondering. I mean if it is just a mistake in detecting the speed then it really wouldn't do me any good if I'm really just dling at 40 something kB/s and ut is just saying it's 50-70 kB/s

(The being able to browse a website and still have that speed while still retaining the 20 something kB/s sounds too fishy to me)

Edit: Will do Kazuaki as soon as the torrent finishes dling

Now seriously:

1) Generally, uT has been getting faster and faster and more and more aggressive. Somewhere in the last betas before Version 1.4, Ludde did something that increased my DL rates by quite a bit. Enough that my idea of a "good" DL went from 80KB/s to 120KB/s.

2) For all my joking about my luck, it is very likely I was indeed downloading nearly at flank. After all, I was also watching the connection via Cfosspeed and it is also showing a max-out - over 600KB/s or about my theoretical flank (I still wonder exactly where the about 200KB/s b/w uT's readings and Cfosspeed's readings went - all DLing overhead - definitely wasn't doing much at the time.)

3) If you had been getting speeds in the 40s in the old versions of uT, and maybe even on other P2P programs, the most likely possibility is indeed your own misread.

4) Sorry for recommending that site to you. I don't know what your attitude is about uh, that kind of R-rated stuff. If only I can think of some other site that is almost guaranteed to have a fat pipe, but all the other ones I can think of tend to be selling much the same kind of thing...

5) Oh, wait, what the heck. Why don't you just go download Cfosspeed now. If you are lucky, it won't force you to restart after installing, and then you can find out immediately through its speed displays. In my experience, uT would get about 80% of the speed listed in Cfossspeed (for example Cfoss says 100KB/s then uT is downloading at about 80KB/s - overhead?)

Just a minor update: speed dropped to single digits 0.8-1 kB/s before jumping back to 40 and dropping down to 20 right now and jumping back to 64 as I type.

Edit: When installing cfosspeed, I get several warnings about it not passing the Windows Logo and may cause problems. Is this a normal thing for cfosspeed and will it really harm WinXp?

Edit: Where is the status window on cfosspeed?

Edit: With cfosspeed, the dl/ul speed went back to the way it used to.

I don't really get how to dl a demo at the site you posted.

Well I've checked with speed tests and it shows numbers near the 512 mark. Strange because it used to get 300 something. Don't know whether cfosspeed affected the numbers. I had it enabled.

Just a minor update: speed dropped to single digits 0.8-1 kB/s before jumping back to 40 and dropping down to 20 right now and jumping back to 64 as I type.

Sometimes stutter happens.

Edit: When installing cfosspeed, I get several warnings about it not passing the Windows Logo and may cause problems. Is this a normal thing for cfosspeed and will it really harm WinXp?

It just means Microsoft didn't quite have time to do the extensive testing on it - after all, if they certify something and it didn't work on one computer out of all those millions out there, they hav to take some responsibility. This happens with many devices. Don't worry too much about it - I hadn't heard a complaint with Cfossspeed yet.

Edit: Where is the status window on cfosspeed?

There are really only a couple of tiny windows as far as I can see. Right-Click on its system tray icon (it is the one with blue, red and green on it), go to Window Settings, and select Open Window on Net0, then Net1 (if it is already open you won't see an "Open Window" option). You can also select a skin. I like Numerical.

Edit: With cfosspeed, the dl/ul speed went back to the way it used to.

Hmm... coincidence?

Well I've checked with speed tests and it shows numbers near the 512 mark. Strange because it used to get 300 something. Don't know whether cfosspeed affected the numbers. I had it enabled.

Cfosspeed is supposed to optimize your connection, so you are likely to extract more from your connection than before. 512 kilobits per second, I suppose. That means you almost certainly got your connection wrong. It is a 256kilobit/sec Up, not Down, connection.

Here's my read for what it is worth: The speed test is kind of a lower limit test - delays somewhere in the pipe would degrade your speed. I would guess your theoretical speed is 640D/256U (maybe a fairly crappy 768D pipe but I'm guessing reasonable quality 640D pipe). Usually, there is probably some noise in your pipe so its real performance is about 512D class or lower, but today your pipe is particularly clear (freak occasion; it happens) and your torrent is megastrong, so for brief moments you are getting 70KB/s, close to the theoretical limit of your pipe once you count in overhead.

Archived