Jump to content

Windows Server 2008 + uTorrent


Recommended Posts

Hi, would like to ask the pros here regarding Windows Server 2008 and uTorrent.

Previously I've been using Windows Server 2003 R2 with uTorrent, speed is great and all, until...

Recently I've reformatted my home server and installed Windows Server 2008.

Eversince then, my torrents are all crippled, on the uTorrent it shows that conenction and all is ok, but when I do the test port, it shows that the port is closed.

I've done the proper port forwarding on my router, same configuration as when I'm using Windows Server 2003, so issue does not lie with the router firewall.

As for Windows Server 2008, I've opened the appropriate ports and double checked, tripled checked...

I'm not sure if there is any additionl configurations I need to do for Windows Server 2008 to speed up the torrents using uTorrent.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, I can ping my server from within my network, and I tried to ping the port using grc shields up to probe the range of port on my server and it shows that the particulr port that I've opened is "opened" according to grc shields up probe... So my firewall and such is opened correctly...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In your firewall settings in 2008 do you have Utorrent set as an exception or just enabling both TCP and UDP in? It might work better if you just use the "Add Program" option.

Also, you have the network your connected to set as a "Private network" or is the box blocking incoming connections checked?

I've got U-torrent connecting fine on my 08 server, I'm just having other issues x.x

Also, if you are trying to save data in a protected portion of your computer you may need to change the saving locations of files because of the new vista/08 protection service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am unsure if this applies to you or not, but I have been fighting the same issue. I replaced my Windows XP Pro install with Windows Server 2008 R2 and noticed that uTorrent would start out ok (around 300KB/s) for about 2 mins or so and then tank in performance constantly going up to about 40-60 and down to 0 again and again. This when I was usually getting download speeds of about 1.2MB/s. It also seemed that uTorrent just could not manage more than about 200 connections no matter what I made the settings.

I removed my AV Software, made changes to the firewall, new network drivers, nothing made a difference. Then I downgraded from uTorrent 1.8.3 beta back to 1.8.2 on a chance and problem 100% solved. My speeds immediately went right back to where they were pre-2008 and held solid the whole time. So perhaps there is a flaw in 1.8.3 that is not working with the new OS.


Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...