Slow Downloads with Speedstream 4200

foss_01

This is only a comment (i finally solved my problem).

To anyone who is a Aliant(ISP) customer who is having troubles with slow bittorrents, please check your modem model. If it is a Speedstream 4200, then that is most likely your troubles. Seimens Speedstream 4200 has a internal firewall, and to most ISP's who use this modem allow the customer to access it and foward ports, but Aliant has custom firmware installed on it, which limits the user to just a Login page and Status page.

There are some forum sites that tell you on how to unlock it (it does not work with Aliant's modems).

The only suggestion i can offer you if you having simialer troubles is to find another(preferably older) modem....i found a Efficient Networks Speedstream 5260 (about 6 years old)....and all my troubles have dissappered!!

(Only tested with Aliant speedstream 4200)

Aliant cripples the modem firmware there is no way to change the firewall settings, you have to put the modem into bridge mode and let the router do all the work. To put the modem in bridge mode, press and hold the reset button until the power light starts flashing red, then connect your modem to your router WAN port and connect your PC to any one of the LAN ports on the router. Then open your browser and enter the IP address for your router and go to the connection setup page and set the router to PPPoE and enter your Sympatico/Aliant B1 user ID and password and set the connection to always on or zero timeout and click the save button. Once you are connected in this manner then you can setup portforwarding with your router.

Archived