System freeze bug - x64

thrawn562

• 2 months later...

Assuming Encore ENPWI-G is the same as RAlink, as suggested earlier....then fyi...

The lockup/freeze issue with these cards and/or drivers appears to be an old one......and NOT specific to x64 or Vista.

I put an Encore ENPWI-G in an HP6000 Omnibook laptop about a week ago. This is a 'connection server' for the cabin which has run 24/7 for the past 2 years without a glitch.....running an old 2-Wire 11b card.

System is running Win2K SP4 and has been flawlessly stable in every way.

From the first day the Encore was installed, the laptop would lock up overnight.

One afternoon, we happened to end up with all other PC's shut down for a few hours....and it locked up that afternoon.

Bottom-line: the system-freeze seems directly related to a lack of Wifi traffic and/or lack of other active Wifi-radios for X period of time.

Seems to take about an hour, perhaps 2-3 hours, of zero-wifi, to trigger the lockup. It's very repeatable....has happened every night.

Drivers installed were off the original 2005 dated CD in the box (INF file contents dated 2004). Encore couldn't be bothered to mark the CD or name the files with the version number...lol....but looking at the 'about' screen in the utility-soft gave this:

Driver version 3.1.0.19

Utility version 2.0.8.300

I'm waiting to hear back from Encore as to whether the 6mb download pkg on their site is any newer (I don't want to waste an hour of dialup-download for nothing...lol).

ps; from what I can tell, this is a Marvell Libertas driver, not "RAlink". At least, the INF file says Marvell in it, and doesn't mention RAlink.

fwiw...

Richard

Archived