The school is blocking p2p

Kjedelig

My school is blocking p2p via their internet, and this makes uTorrent unable to download any torrent. VeohTV and Limewire is not working, and not any other p2p application. I don't got any idea of what they have done, but they sent out a email to everyone on the school where they said p2p was a problem for the internet capacity and that they soon would block it. Since that it hasn't worked. Not for me, and not for my mates. It says it has a download speed of 6 KB when I start the program, but it soon goes down to 0 and nothing is downloaded.

I have searched in the forums, and I can not find anything helpful (I think). Please help me with this, I am a totally noob in these connection, and I really want to could use my uTorrent at school.

Somebody got any ideas for a solution, so please tell me!!!

Please excuse my bad English.

If you don't know why it works or what it's doing, it's really hard to formulate a means of defeating it.

Does it block tracker connections?

Is it blocking the download of .torrent files?

Is it blocking encrypted peer/seed traffic?

Does it seem to detect incoming connections "better" than outgoing ones?

Thank you for your answers:)

I can download torrentfiles from thepiratebay.org, mininova and other similar sites, and my µTorrent can open them. So far so well. But it can not connect to trackers/seeders or download from them, and I can not upload anything. Since they started to block p2p I have not managed to start any programs through my GPass, so it seems to me they also have stopped encrypted traffic.

Do you know what this can be?

• 3 weeks later...

But isn't VPN encrypted? Since all the traffic here is passing by routers, I think they will block it when they understand it is encrypted. Or I am totally wrong?

Please tell me if I am wrong. It would make me really happy to be wrong in this case;)

Yes, I think this should work. Now I only need to find a good seedbox-site, which I guess I could manage to do myself, but if you have a good tip I would be pleased to hear it.

Thank you very much for the help:-D

EDIT 21.09.09: It appears they only stopped the possibilities of connecting to trackers, or they have changed some options. If I connects to seeds and peers at home, then turns the laptop into hibernation (I am not able to find a good translation), I can continue downloading when I turn it on at shool :D

Archived