Set up port forwarding = port not open??

babelfreak

I set up port forwarding and it didn't work. When testing it says the port is not open.

Used port forward.com... set it up as directed. Set up a static IP address etc. Used there port tester and yours and it didn't work. Turned off my sygate firewall and the windows firewall was already off and it still wouldn't open. Searched the forums and the web but it didn't answer my questions. I hope you guys can.

I run windows xp home

utorrent 1.8.2

network everywhere Nr041 hardwire router.

comcast provider.

Am I missing anything? Up and down speeds are bad too. Rarely get double digits... well maybe better then rarely but not much.

You have to understand they support uTorrent here. Not every single piece of security and firewall software. A lot of the problems are caused by improper firewall configurations, but there are so many firewalls, the admins and people helping can't walk you through getting them all to work.

As a general rule (and this was true when I worked in IT), you get asked to remove programs that may interfere due to misconfiguration. If that solves the problem, we know exactly where it lies: configuration of your security software. At that point, feel free to then reinstall the program and try to configure it to work. If it still won't, your best bet would be to contact the vendor of that security program for support.

I suggest using Windows firewall or Comodo firewall, which works according to numerous other posters and testers.

Barring that, a properly configured router with only the uTorrent port forwarded is a FAR better firewall than a 'last-ditch incoming traffic already hitting your computer' software firewall which may even have security vulnerabilities of its own!

Using both a router and one of those 2 mentioned software firewalls is perhaps best, as even wired routers have lately been exposed as having weaknesses. (Wireless is inherently insecure.)

Keeping your computer's software updated AND checking for unwanted programs and DLLs regularly is also very important...but generally beyond our tech support here, though we're forced to do so on occasion if we're to help many people. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Not to thread jack but I am having the same problem. I created a static ip. Made sure I made port exception for utorrent. Although I get Network Ok green light running torrents and my downloads are fine. Even this green light turns on and off. My upload speed is terrible. Port checker always fails. Can anyone help me out?

Utorrent 1.8.2

Comodo Firewall

Linksys WRT54GL flashed DDWRT firmware (Start using yesterday)

win patrol

NOD32

Peer Guardian 2

IP.Filter.rev7

I have exactly the same problem as described by polorsport.

Network OK Green Light, Port Forward Seems to OK at router, any firewall on computer. But when I try to check port forward at utorrent.com test site it say port forward failed. :-(

Any help would be appreciated!

do you mean did I follow the directions on how to set up a port through my router then "Yes" I went through that site..... I forgot the name... that shows you how to set up a static with your router. I followed it to a tee.

And please do not hijack my thread.. make your own thread.

Come guys please help me out here. I am desperate and I have been trying everything I know to resolve this. I'll wash your car for a year .. I will do you laundry... I will set you with a really hot friend of mine.

You may have more than 1 software firewall blocking uTorrent.

Antivirus/Antispyware software often now has a software firewall of their own...

Normally, ComCast doesn't supply modem-routers. They just provide basic cable modems.

But...any chance yours contains a mini-router and/or firewall?

If it does, it'd be at www.portforward.com ROUTERS section.

Hmmmmm. I dont have another firewall. Windows firewall is turned off. I use Avast anti-virus and have the p2p turned off so its not checking there. I went to the Avast forum and they say it doesn't act as a firewall.

I went to portforward.com some time ago and followed it to a tee and checked it twice. I have a vonage phone that connects to the router and my cable modem goes through the router too. My router then connects to my pc. Dont know what to do. I have checked online and all I get is what I have already done. It seems others have the same problem though just no solution.

The VoIP router has to be specially (port?) forwarded to make the phone work...you need to figure out how it's configured and whether it acts as a double-router (1 layer for your computer network, another for the phone).

At this point, just call your ISP and ask them how to forward a port to your computer because the special equipment they've added has "broke compatibility" with your internet-using programs.

If they ask what in particular, there are many games as well as file sharing that needs port/s forwarded to work correctly.

Archived